To get the most out of kayaking, you need to keep your gear and essentials such as sunscreen, first aid kit, and water in a strong deck bag that is within reach. You can use a deck bag to supplement your limited storage space and keep your valuables dry on a sit-on-top kayak. Some kayakers also use deck bags to balance their kayak; when storage is at one end of the boat, it makes the kayak heavier. Using a deck bag to store some of your stuff will help even out the weight for easy paddling and tracking.
In this article, we list some of our favorite deck bags that have stood the test of time. We have a buying guide to help you know the essential features in a kayak deck bag and another section to answer any questions you might be having. Please stick through to the end for some enlightenment.
These Are Our Top Choices For The Best Kayak Deck Bags
6. No products found.
The list above features some of the best kayak deck bags in the market today. These deck bags are suitable for just about any kayak model. Since you know your kayak best and what type of deck bag you are looking for, you will be in a better position to choose the right bag. Below are some of the things you should look at when searching for a deck bag:
Factors To Consider When Buying Kayak Deck Bags
Before you search for the perfect deck bag, you need to outline the most important factors to you. Doing this helps you narrow down the features to look for in a deck bag. In this section, we look at some factors that are essential in any deck bag.
1. Material Of The Deck Bag
The material of a deck bag is critical because it will impact its functionality and durability. A good deck bag should be made from a tough and durable material such as polyester or nylon. It should also be reinforced with a waterproof coating to keep your gear dry throughout your adventure. When choosing the material, go for waterproof instead of water-resistant if you want total protection from water. Water-resistant materials can stop water from penetrating to a certain degree but not entirely, while waterproof materials are impervious to water.
Before buying a deck bag, consider what you will primarily use it for. If you enjoy white water kayaking, you need a waterproof bag to keep all your items safe and dry. If you are going on long adventures, you need a deck bag that can fit all your essentials without a hassle. Also, consider what items you will put in your deck bag; if you need to store gear and tools, you should get a spacious and robust bag. If you only need to store small items such as sunscreen, snacks, and water, a small and medium-duty deck bag should serve you well.
3. Ease Of Access
Since you will store all your essentials such as food, gadgets, water, and snacks in your deck bag, you need a bag that is easily accessible, easy to open, and close without compromising your balance. A deck bag with side and mesh pockets is a plus since you can put those items you use a lot and grab them quickly. Ensure your bag’s zippers and pouches are in the right places for you to have easy access. It is essential to attach your deck bag to your kayak before heading out to the water. Doing this will allow you to put all the zippers, pouches, and pockets in a way that’s easy to access.
4. Design Of Fasteners And Closure
Every kayaker has a different preference when it comes to the fastener on their deck bag. Always have an idea of what you prefer before buying a deck bag. You have to choose between zippers and rolltop closures. Zippers offer a tight seal making the bag as water-resistant as possible. They are also easy to open and close and are ideal for people who want to reach their stuff quickly and more often. The only downside of having zippers is that they are expensive to repair or replace if they are damaged.
Roll-top closures are great for keeping the bag’s contents dry, but they are harder to access. If you don’t need to access your gear and essentials in a hurry, you will enjoy having a roll-top bag.
5. Attachment To The Kayak
Before buying a kayak deck bag, ensure you know how it attaches to your kayak and ensure the straps, buckles, or D-rings are compatible with your kayak. Most deck bags will have clips or strap systems designed to be attached to the deck of your kayak. You need to look at your kayak to know which system is compatible before buying. You want to make sure your bag is secure enough to stay on the kayak regardless of the environment.
Comparing The Best Kayak Deck Bags
Here’s a table showing how the deck bags compare in terms of material, color, weight, and attachment to the kayak.
|Kayak deck bag||Colour||material||attachment||Type of fastener||size|
|Chinook Aqua tidal 25 Deck Bag||Yellow||Ripstop nylon||Steel D-ringsBungee cord||Non-corrosive zippers||21 x 15.38 x 1.25 inches|
|ADVANCED ELEMENTS Quickdraw Deck Bag||Yellow||PVC tarpaulin||Adjustable straps D-rings||Water-resistant zipper||14″L x 8″W tapering to 6″W. Height tapers from 4.5″ – 3″H|
|Attwood Deck Storage Bag||Available in different bright colors||PVC and nylon||D-rings||Side zipper||The capacity of 8 liters|
|Seattle Sports Deluxe 15L Kayak and Paddle Board Deck Bag||Silver||Vinyl||Bungees and side straps||Zipper and storm flap||Capacity of 15.7 litres14.5″ x 13″ x 5″|
|TCYC Deluxe Yakcatch Cooler for Kayak & Canoe Fishing||Black and grey||600D polyester||Locking clips||Zipper and Velcro||L12″ x W7.25” x H32″|
|No products found.||Blue||420D PC coated ripstop nylon||Side straps||Zipper||16 x 14 x 8 inches|
|Wisemen Trading Kayak Deck Bag||Green/grey||PVC||bungee||zipper||20.7 x 12.8 x 1.4 inches;|
1. Chinook Aqua Tidal 25 Deck Bag
This deck bag tops our list due to its durable construction and large compartments to keep all your belongings safe and dry. The bag is made from TPU- coated ripstop nylon, making it durable and able to withstand harsh situations as you kayak. This bag has rugged and non-corrosive zippers that keep your items dry and safe throughout your adventure. It has a contoured shape with an internal stiffener board for maximum storage. The bag also has three compartments to help you keep your stuff as organized as you’d like. On the side, this bag has mesh pockets where you can keep your water or snacks for a quick grab.
1. Material- this chinook bag is made from damage-resistant TPU- coated ripstop nylon that makes the bag rugged enough to withstand any harsh situations.
2. Attachment- the bag has d-rings made of steel and bungee cord attachments to attach the bag to the kayak or hold more gear onto the bag if needed.
3. Access- the bag has a zipper that is easy to open and close whenever you want to reach your stuff. It also has a stiffener board that keeps it in shape, making it easier to access. As a bonus, it has mesh pockets where you can put those items
4. Closure– this bag has bar-tacked non-corrosive zippers that make it easy to open and close. The zippers are of excellent quality and don’t get damaged easily.
|Dimensions||21 x 15.38 x 1.25 inches|
What we like most about this deck bag is its durable construction and large compartments that will fit all the necessities for a day-long trip.
2. ADVANCED ELEMENTS Quickdraw Deck Bag
If you are looking for a highly durable kayak deck bag that is easy to secure to your vessel, look no further than this. This bag is made from the thickest PVC material to give you extra durability. The bag has a removable interior and a light rolltop liner making it easy to access when kayaking. This deck bag works well with all advanced elements kayaks since they are of the same brand. It is also compatible with most other hard-shell kayaks and some inflatable ones.
1. Materials- this advanced element kayak deck bag is made from thick PVC tarpaulin material that makes the bag durable, water-resistant, and can withstand the roughest day on the water.
2. Fastener- the bag has a water-resistant zipper that keeps stuff inside the bag safe and dry. It also features a removable rolltop liner that can be used to enforce the bag’s water resistance.
3. Access- has a semi-rigid contoured shape making it easy to access the interior of the bag.
4. Attachment- this bag features adjustable attachment straps and D-rings for securing to any kayaks deck configuration.
|Material||500D PVC tarpaulin|
|Dimensions||Length 14″ xwidth 8″ tapering to 6″W. Height can taper from 4.5″ – 3″H|
This kayak deck bag is perfect for slim and small kayaks since it is compact and lightweight. It has a waterproof inner lining making it ideal for rough days on the water. The only downside of this bag is that it doesn’t have outer compartments.
3. Attwood Deck Storage Bag
Are you looking for a kayak deck bag that you can use in low-light conditions? This Attwood bag is the most suitable for you. Our favorite feature about this bag is its reflective stripe and bright colors that make it visible in foggy weather and at night. This bag also boasts a durable outer PVC construction that offers water resistance and a nylon inner construction to keep your gear safe. This bag attaches quickly to any kayak since it has D-rings and a snap cord that will keep the bag secure and stable. It has side pockets that are easy to access with a zipper closure.
1. Material – The bag’s exterior is made from PVC that makes it durable and water-resistant. The inside is made from nylon that keeps your stuff away from splashes.
2. Access- This bag is easy to access since it has side pockets and zipper closure that open and close with ease.
3. Attachment– it comes with multiple D-rings and mounts quickly to deck rigging.
|Material||Exterior-PVC, interior- nylon|
What we love most about this bag is the reflective strip that makes it visible in low-light conditions. This bag is also compact, making it ideal for small kayaks and inflatable ones.
4. Seattle Sports Deluxe 15L Kayak And Paddle Board Deck Bag
For anyone on a budget looking for a lightweight and spacious deck bag, look no further than this Seattle sports deluxe bag. The bag has a large capacity and can hold more items for a comfortable trip. You can customize the bag for different uses thanks to its webbing design and quick-release buckle side straps. This bag features welded seams that add to its durability and ruggedness. It comes with external bungee to enable you to attach extra gear. The bag has a reflective silver vinyl that makes it visible in low light conditions and a transparent window that allows you to look at the contents of the back without necessarily opening it.
1. Durability– the bag is made from silver vinyl and has welded seams to reinforce it. The bag withstands the general wear and tear quite well, but if you are looking for a deck bag that can withstand heavy usage and rough conditions, you will have to look further.
2. Closure- it has a zippered opening that has a storm flap for added safety. The bag also has a clear window that allows you to see its contents before opening.
3. Storage Space- this bag is quite spacious and provides ample storage for your gear. It also features bungees, tie-down points, and side straps that you can use to attach extra gear.
|Dimensions||14.5″ x 13″ x 5″|
What we love about this Seattle sports bag is how spacious and lightweight it is. The bag is also affordable compared to many others of its size. The only downside of the bag is that it cannot withstand heavy usage since the material is relatively light.
5. TCYC Deluxe Yak Catch Cooler For Kayak & Canoe Fishing
This bag is specifically designed for kayak anglers to help them create extra storage space on their fishing kayaks. You can also use the bag on a regular kayak to increase storage space. This bag has a durable and water-resistant construction thanks to its 600D polyester material and mesh tarpaulin lining. The bag is padded with closed-cell foam and heat-sealed durable eco tarpaulin or thermal lining for insulation. It is easy to think the bag was designed for carrying fish from the description, but the manufacturers intended it this way to keep your stuff away from water. This bag is comfortable to carry due to the two padded handles on the sides of the bag. With this bag, you are getting value for your money with a well-thought-out design.
1. Attachment– this bag has six locking clips on the edges that make it easy to tie it down to the kayak.
2. Material- the body is made from sturdy 600 Denier water-resistant polyester that is fully padded with a thick tarpaulin lining. This bag also has a removable EVA dry tube made of eco-friendly material
3. Closure- this bag has a long center zipper that is easy to open and close for easy access to your gear. On the large end of the bag, there’s Velcro and a zipper for alternative access when the bag is positioned in front of the angler.
|Dimensions||L12″ x W7.25” x H32″|
What stands out about this bag is how it is designed for anglers and has heat insulation. You can keep your stuff hold or cold throughout an adventure with this bag.
6. Sea To Summit Access Deck Bag
No products found.
this bag has to be one of the best on our list when it comes to abrasion resistance and durability. It is constructed from 420d solid polyurethane-coated ripstop nylon making it highly durable. It is also water-resistant, thanks to the rolltop lining that keeps the contents of the bag dry. This bag has a stiff plastic insert that keeps the bag in shape and makes it easy for you to access your gear. The bag is a compact size with a slim design that allows it to fit in the narrowest of kayaks.
1. Attachment– steel D-rings and nylon straps on the bag help attach to the kayak deck, keeping it safe and secure.
2. Closure– the bag has a curved zip that is watertight to keep everything safe and dry.
3. Access– the bag is easy to access thanks to its stiff plastic insert that keeps the bag in shape and makes it easy to access your gear.
|Brand||Sea to summit|
|Dimensions||14 x 8 inches|
We love this deck bag because it is compact enough to fit onto the decks of narrow kayaks. This compact design and small size might be a limiting factor if you are looking for ample storage space.
7. Wisemen Trading Kayak Deck Bag
If you are looking for a versatile and affordable deck bag, look no further than this. You can use this bag on any vessel that has a bungee or mounting system with ease. It comes with a board that helps the bag maintain its shape and make it easy to access. You can also carry the load on your shoulder since it comes with a sling.
Material– the bag is made from durable PVC that is resistant to wear and tear.
Frequently Asked Questions On Best Kayak Deck Bags
After going through this article, you might still have some questions regarding kayak deck bags that we have not tackled. In this section, we answer some common questions to help you solve any dilemmas you have.
1. Is There A Difference Between Kayak Deck Bags And Dry Bags?
Yes, the difference between a dry bag and a deck bag is that deck bags are purposely for increasing storage space, while dry bags are meant to keep things from water and other impurities. Both deck bags and dry bags work to keep your gear and tools from coming into contact with water.
2. Can I Clean A Kayak Deck Bag In The Washer?
You should avoid cleaning your deck bag in the washing machine or drying it in the dryer since the heat may damage your bag. You won’t need machine cleaning for your deck bags most times since their design keeps them from getting too dirty. Handwashing your deck bag is easy; you only need water, detergent, and a soft brush, and wash gently to get rid of the dirt. Dry your bag outside, preferably in the sun, and store it properly until your next trip.
3. How Do You Attach A Deck Bag To A Kayak?
Deck bags are attached to kayaks using some points on the kayak, such as bungee rigging or D-rings. Always research your specific kayak before buying a deck bag to ensure you choose a compatible one.
Finding the right deck bag is an excellent step towards enjoying your adventure because all your items stay safe without compromising on the balance of your vessel. We hope that after going through our guide, you have found the perfect fit for your needs. If you are unsure of which one to go for, we highly recommend the Chinook Aqua tidal 25 Deck Bag. The bag is versatile, spacious, and also affordable. It is also compatible with most kayaks making it a great choice. We hope you find a deck bag that will make you enjoy your kayaking trips. All the best and happy kayaking!
Briggs is from Chandler, Arizona, USA. Besides riding on his dirt bike on Grand Canyon – he loves fishing and often go kayaking in Colorado River with his best friends Mike. A cute dog named Ketty gives the company while Briggs kayaks alone.
Last update on 2021-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API