Emotion kayaks are very excellent boats. They are lowly priced, so you will not spend a lot when acquiring one. When it comes to fishing, emotion kayaks are perfect. They are maneuverable crafts that can assess several areas in the water bodies, including the locations that are prohibited for large boats. Therefore, with an emotion kayak, you are in a better position to access more fish.
This write up will feature the safety tips you should practice for safe kayaking. It also highlights the accessories you can add to your kayak to enhance your trips. Read through to get all the details.
Emotion kayak accessories
Accessorizing an emotion kayak is optional. However, if you decide to accessorize your kayak, you will take your fishing experience to a higher level. You are free to use a few or many accessories as you wish. Below is a list of attachments you can consider to enhance fishing.
Just as the name is, the fishing-specific PFD is tailored for fishers. It is a beautiful outfit that not only promotes safety but also provides several storage alternatives. Given the many pockets that safely keep the fishing pieces of equipment such as pliers which you require at all times, a fishing-specific PFD becomes a necessity.
Fishing kayak paddles are specifically designed for anglers. They are lightweight, so you can paddle as long as you wish without getting tired. Another essential feature they possess is a built-in hook retrieval notch. The hook is very helpful when fishing because it safeguards the fish baits.
The anchor system consists of an anchor and a trolley. The system facilitates quick and secure anchoring. As a result, you will spend most of your time fishing. Besides, the trolley permits perfect positioning for you to cast the rings efficiently.
A tackle crate plays an essential role in keeping your kayak tidy. It is a secure device for handling rods and tackle. Moreover, it sits just right behind your seat so you can access your pieces of equipment easily so long as you are vigilant not to fall off the deck as you try to reach for specific gears.
A fish finder is a handy tool for catching fish. It allows you to know the exact location where the fish resides in the waters that you are fishing from. Consequently, you will never return empty-handed when out fishing.
- Rod Holders
Rod holders serve to secure your kayak as you paddle. Additionally, they keep the kayak close to popping fish lures. Therefore, they facilitate smooth fishing. When it comes to buying a rod holder, consider the one that gives maximum security because others permit faster release. The faster release is undesirable, particularly when you have to act swiftly to reach for fish.
- Fish Grips and Landing Nets
If you wish to avoid losing your catch invest in fish grips and a landing net, a pair of fish grips securely holds the fish by the lips without letting it go. On the other hand, a landing net allows you to lift the caught fish efficiently. Landing lines are convenient when fishing large fish.
Measuring devices are interesting gadgets to have in your kayak. They help you to measure the size of every caught fish accurately. For that reason, you are at liberty to sell your catch at a higher price since you are aware of their weight.
Dry bags serve to keep your phone and camera from getting wet when you are out kayaking.
With a kayak cart, you can always get your emotion kayak to the water body without getting fatigued regardless of the distance you have to cover to reach the waters. At the same time, a kayak cart will safeguard the bottom of your fishing gear from all possible damages.
It will be beneficial if you keep your roads lashed, especially when planning to kayak in deep waters. In case your kayak capsizes, the lashes will keep the rod floating so you can easily reach out for it. Similarly, the lashed paddle keeps the fishing gear standing as you attend to the popping baits.
Given that the best fishing periods begin before the raising of the sun and ends after the sun sets, you should consider installing a 360º visibility light on your kayak. The light works to safeguard you from being run over by other kayakers. You should turn on the light just before it gets dark.
With a drift chute, you will be able to control your kayak from winds. Thereupon, your kayak will keep to a favorite spot for as long as you want.
You are free to do more research and find out more about fishing accessories that you can incorporate into your kayak.
What Are Scupper Plugs?
Normally, scupper holes are found in kayaks. They act as safety elements since they drain water out of the fishing gear. They draw off water from top to bottom, making you sit comfortably. Furthermore, the holes ensure that your equipment doesn’t capsize due to it being filled with water.
You can incorporate scupper plugs to seal the holes in your kayak. The caps are very efficient since they allow minimal water to get into the kayak so you will enjoy a drier ride. At the same time, the plugs facilitate the release of overwashed waters that have come into the deck. Correspondingly, your fishing unit is safe from sinking.
How do you install kayak scupper plugs?
Installing drain plugs is very simple. You can consider using waterproof silicone to seal the holes in your kayak before proceeding to install the plugs. It will help you avoid adverse leaking. Before you can settle down and begin installing the scupper plugs, take note of the two types of plugs that you can choose from;
- Wide Thread – This scupper Plug is deliberately made-in recess at the base; hence it efficiently seals the kayak holes by giving a more watertight seal.
- Fine Thread– The fine thread keeps the holes sealed even in high vibrations.
You are free to install either of the two. Alternatively, you can replace an existing scupper plug; for instance, you can substitute a wide thread with a fine thread.
Generally, before any installation takes place, you should choose the location you wish to situate the drain plugs. Typically, the plugs are customarily attached at the back of the kayak, but you can customize your installation by choosing the more substantial parts of your kayak. If you pick heavier parts, the draining process will be smooth since you will be lifting the lighter ends.
For efficient drain plugs installation follow the steps below;
- At the selected position, drill a one-inch hole
- On the drilled hole, place the plug flange.
- Push the drain plug until it fits firmly. At this point, you can employ the use of a small knife to shape any excess space and hence help to install the plug securely.
- Next, apply waterproof silicone on the drilled deck to set the plug installation position
- Utilizing the flange, proceed to drill 1/8” bits. The bits will facilitate the self-tapping screws to fasten easily.
- Lastly, screw the self-tapping screws through the drilled holes.
Is a whistle required on a kayak?
If your fishing gear’s length is smaller than twelve meters, then you should invest on a whistle or probably a horn. The whistle will allow you to make efficient sound signals whenever you are experiencing poor visibility so that other kayakers may come for your rescue.
As soon as you acquire an emotion kayak, you should familiarize yourself with kayaking safety tips. Below we have highlighted some tips that are fundamental for safe kayaking. Consider them to enjoy kayaking all through!
- Take note of the changing weather conditions. Before you go out kayaking during cold conditions, wear gears that keep you warm. On the other hand, if it is sunny, be sure to cover yourself well so that you don’t suffer from sunburns.
- Watch out for the seaward winds, which can make it tricky for you to get back to the shore.
- Make sure you pursue all the kayaking regulations in the location you are in.
- Avoid kayaking while under the influence of drugs. To be safe, wait until you are done with any prescription, then you will be alright to go kayaking.
- Watch out not to surpass the recommended load capacity of your emotion kayak
- Regularly inspect the fishing unit for any scratches before paddling.
- Learn proper paddling skills and first aid tips from qualified personnel.
- Always wear the personnel floatation device ( PFD) to stay safe in cases when your kayak capsizes.
- When kayaking in rivers or side zones, wear a helmet because they are perfect locations for dangerous animals such as sharks.
- Ensure you keep hydrated as you paddle
- In case you are kayaking in new locations, make sure you consult with the locals to get to know about the currents and weather patterns. It will be helpful for you to establish safe routes if the unexpected happens.
About Emotion Kayak
Undoubtedly, when you abide by all the highlighted safety tips, you will always return safely to the shore. You can apply the featured accessories, and we guarantee you to have a worthwhile fishing experience.
James is a professional kayaker and his hobby is fishing! He has been fishing for last 5 years and he loves using Kayaks while outing as well. Based on his experiences with the different type of Kayaks; he is sharing his opinion about various kayaks so that a beginner can get started right away. Find him on Twitter here. Happy reading!