If you have a canoe then you can add canoe outriggers to the sides of a canoe to provide stability and prevent capsizing. You can buy single outriggers, double outriggers, beach outriggers, or racing outriggers depending on your needs. For example, if you are looking for increased speed from your canoe then racing outriggers will be the right option for you.
Top 8 Kayak Outriggers Review 2023
Here’s a list of the best outriggers in the market today. If you’re in a hurry, go through this list to see what’s available and their current price.
1. Best Overall: No products found.
2. Most Versatile: No products found.
3. Best Quality: No products found.
4. Best Inflatable: No products found.
5. Easiest To Install: No products found.
6. Most Durable: No products found.
7. Most Portable: No products found.
8. Best For Most Kayaks: No products found.
Comparison Of The Best Kayak Outriggers
Now that you have an idea of the products on our list, we can compare their features to make it easier for you to find your perfect fit. Here’s a comparison table that will help you decide which outriggers to go for.
|Product Name||Best For||Features||Rating|
|No products found.||Overall||It comes with everything you need for installationEasy to install and detach||4.3 out of 5|
|No products found.||Versatility||Compatible with most kayaks and canoesEasy to adjustdurable||4.0 out of 5|
|No products found.||Quality||Extendible and easy to installAdds 27 lbs of buoyancy per floatCompatible with most vessels||4.5 out of 5|
|No products found.||Inflatable||Easy to inflate and deflateMade from tough PVCPortable and durable||4.2 out of 5|
|No products found.||Ease of installation||It comes with two outrigger arms for both sides includes installation hardware and instructions||4.4 out of 5|
|No products found.||Durability||Has adjustable armsIt comes with mounting hardwareFloats are solid and durable||4.3 out of 5|
|No products found.||Portability||Easy to inflate and deflates double valvesIt comes with repair patches||4.4 out of 5|
|No products found.||Use with multiple kayaks||Universally designed easy to install||4.3 out of 5|
1. Best Overall: Scotty 302 Kayak Stabilizer System
No products found.
|Dimensions||32 x 9 x 9 inches|
|Length of arms||28 inches|
|material||Anodized aluminum for arms and PVC for pontoons|
Finding a stabilizer or outrigger that comes with everything you need to install is every fisherman’s dream. The Scotty #302 kayak stabilizer comes with two anodized arms, four locking decks, rod holders, and side mounts which are everything you need to get going. This system was built to keep you secure and balanced on your kayak without having to carry the bulk of hard PVC. You can use this system on most kayaks with ease, and once installed, you can stand and maneuver on your kayak without the fear of capsizing.
1. Easy To Install– the system features two inflatable pontoons that are easy to inflate without any complicated device. You can also install the system without drilling any holes, thus making installation and removal effortless.
2. Designed For Extra Buoyancy And Minimal Drag– the stabilizers add over 30 pounds of buoyancy to your boat to make standing and maneuverability easy. There are also designed to minimize any drag in the water, ensuring the floats don’t weigh you down.
3. Durable– the system is made from high-quality materials, including a tear-resistant PVC for the pontoons, and this ensures you get to enjoy them for a long before you need a replacement.
1. It fits most kayaks and canoes
2. Easy to install and removal
3. Made from durable and high-quality material
1. Relatively expensive
2. Most Versatile: Pactrade Marine PVC Outrigger Arms
No products found.
|System weight||5 lbs|
|Material||Aluminum arms, PVC floats|
|Dimensions of float kit||27.5″ length and 5″ width|
|Dimensions of poles||31.5″ length and 0.82″ width|
Every adventurous boater needs a reliable stabilizer system that works well with most kayaks and canoes. With this parade system, you get all the reliability you might need for a safe experience on the water. The system is excellent for anglers who wish to add stability while standing on the boat. It is easy to install and can be used on rough and choppy waters.
1. Versatile And Compatible With Most Canoes And Kayaks – this stabilizer system works on most boats and can be installed flat or on the side. This outrigger is also ideal for use in oceans, lakes, and rivers, making them the most versatile you’ll ever find.
2. Feature Large And Easy Gripping Lock Nuts For Easy Adjustment– the outriggers have locknuts that make adjusting quick to ensure your boat is stable at all times. These nuts can also be detached effortlessly for storage when the system is not in use.
3. Made From Quality And Durable Materials, you are assured of value for money since they are made to last with these outriggers. The arms are made from aluminum, while the float kits are made from PVC.
1. Easy to install, adjust and detach
2. Compatible with most boats
4. Made from durable materials
1. Adjustment gears are made of plastic
3. Best Quality: Spring Creek Manufacturing Hydrodynamic Canoe Stabilizer
No products found.
|Brand||Spring Creek Manufacturing|
|Universal receiver length||30″ 36″ 40″ and 45″ depending on canoe size|
|Length of floats||37″ from tip to tip|
|Buoyancy||27lb per float|
Imagine having a stabilizer system that is extendable depending on what you want and universal, meaning you get to use it on any canoe or kayak. This is the dream of everyone who owns a boat, and spring creek manufacturing is here to make your dreams come true. This outrigger has been designed for safety, ease of use, and comfort making your canoe remain upright and stable on the water. They are extendable by up to 20 inches in each direction to give you the width and buoyancy you desire.
1. High Quality And Durable Construction– these float stabilizers are made from durable, lightweight polyethylene plastic that makes them easy to use and durable.
2. Extendible By 20 Inches In Each Direction To Give You The Width You Need– the design of these stabilizers, together with their ease of use, makes the best outriggers in the market today. The system comes with two weights, each weighing 4 lbs and having a buoyancy of 27 lbs per float. It also has a crossbar receiver, two telescopic arms, and 1 set of clamps.
3. Hydrodynamic Design For Minimal Drag Through The Water– the design of this outrigger ensures it doesn’t slow you down and is extra stable. It is also easy to adjust since it has lever arms.
1. Extendable and compatible with most vessels
2. Easy to install
3. Designed for minimal drag
1. Relatively pricey
4. Best Inflatable: METER STAR kayak Floats
No products found.
Inflatable outriggers are perfect when you need to travel long distances; all you have to do is pack them and inflate them at your destination. These meter star floats are easy to inflate since you can use a bicycle pump or even blow using your mouth. They are universal, and they can fit any size of paddle shafts. The pack comes with four repair patches for a puncture and a one-way inflation valve for quick inflation.
1. Provides Extra Stability To Your Kayak- these outriggers help you feel safe by giving extra stability to both novices and professionals.
2. Easy To Inflate And Deflate- has a one-way inflation valve with an anti-leak design cap that ensures you don’t lose air as you inflate, thus making it easy and fast.
3. All-Inclusive Package- the package comes with two floats, an air nozzle, 24-inch orange drifting socks and sea anchor cone sleeve, screw cap and air plug, hook and rivet kit, slotted fittings for deck line guides, and a nylon rope.
1. No leaks
2. Made from thick PVC
3. Easy to inflate
1. You need to purchase a balance rod separately
5. Easiest To install: YakGear Kayak & Canoe Outriggers
No products found.
|Length of outrigger arms||30 inches|
This yakGear kayak and canoe outrigger has got you covered when it comes to all your fears on the water. It is designed to keep you safe from rocking back and forth or even toppling into the water. With these outriggers, you can safely: stand and cast at fish, traverse through choppy water and even paddle with kids. The outriggers are attached using a RAILBLAZA starport base that is mounted to your boat. You can remove the outriggers anytime you need to transport your watercraft.
1. The Set Comes With Two Outriggers For Maximum Stability And Safety– with this set, you get one outrigger for the port and another for the starboard side of your vessel. The arms are adjustable and are 30 inches long, providing a floating base of roughly 22 inches from the boat.
2. The Kit Comes With Stainless Steel Installation Hardware, Instructions, And Rigging Tips– these new generation 2 yak gear outriggers are the easiest to install since they even come with installation instructions.
1. It comes with two outriggers for extra stability to any watercraft: one for each side of the boat
2. Optimal for total weights under 350lbs
3. Includes Installation instructions and hardware to make mounting easy
1. It might be hard to install for beginners
6. Most Durable: Brocraft Kayak Outriggers
No products found.
|Warranty||Two years limited|
If you are on the hunt for a durable outrigger that will add extra stability to your watercraft as you stand, then you need to look at this outrigger. It is easy to install with brackets that allow for positional adjustments and are also lightweight. Our favorite part about it has to be the fact that it comes with installation hardware, and you can mount it on the side of the deck or the track. This outrigger can be used by beginners and expert anglers who want extra stability.
1. Made from solid and durable materials– this system has the highest quality material starting with aluminum arms,tough-PVC floats, and stainless steel mounting hardware.
2. Has 32 inches-long arms and molded PVC floats
1. It comes with mounting hardware
2. Has adjustable arms that are easy to install and remove
3. Floats are solid and durable
1. Relatively expensive compared to other brands
7. Most Portable: Lixada PVC Inflatable Outrigger Kayak
No products found.
|Color||Available in blue, white, and yellow|
This Lixada outrigger is built for anyone looking for an outrigger system that they can carry around with ease while traveling. The system is easy to inflate and deflate and can be used by experts and beginners. The float has a dual valve system that helps you inflate using your mouth and hold in the air. It also has a second valve that is specifically for deflating fast and quickly. The pontoons are pretty affordable, but you have to consider buying arms separately when looking at the price.
1. Has Double Valves For Easy Inflation And Deflation- the pontoons are easy to inflate and have valves designed in a way that doesn’t allow air to escape; thus, you don’t need to struggle while screwing the valve cap on.
2. Lightweight And Portable- when deflated, you can easily fit the pontoons in your bag and carry them as you go camping and on other adventures. They are convenient since they don’t take up space and are very light.
3. Universal And Fits On Boats, Canoes, And Kayaks – these Lixada outriggers can be used on any watercraft without a hassle. You only need to buy the correct arms for your kayak, and you’re good to go
1. It comes with two repair patches
2. Easy to inflate and deflate
4. It has three color options
1. Sidekick bars/ arms are not included
8. Best For Most Kayaks: Hobie Sidekick Ama Kit
No products found.
If you own a fleet of watercraft, you might consider getting outriggers that are compatible with most of your vessels, and these Hobie outriggers work perfectly on any kayak, canoe, or boat to provide the extra stability that you need. They have adjustable floats that are easy to adjust with just a click and twist. The floats are also easy to inflate and deflate, and the system comes with the bolts and nuts you need for installation. For some kyaks, you might also need adapter plates to install these outriggers.
1. Easy To Install And Adjust- you don’t need advanced skills to install the floats; you can also adjust the floats by simply twisting and clicking.
2. Compatible With Most Watercraft- these outriggers are perfect if you own different kayaks or plan to rent out a kayak. You can have them in advance even before you know which kayak you will hire because they work with most models.
1. Offers excellent stability and balance
2. Easy to inflate and deflate
3. Works with most kayaks and canoes
1. It might be hard to paddle with
Factors To Consider When Buying Canoe Outriggers (Buying Guide 2021)
With all the options you have to choose from, choosing the right outrigger and stabilizer system can be tasking. It would be best to consider a few things to get the most out of the outrigger you end up choosing. In this section, we take you through some of the key factors you should consider to make the best choice. Read on
1. Floatation Style Of The Outrigger
You have two options when it comes to floatation styles: inflatable pontoon and a solid floatation device. They come in two parts for inflatable stabilizer systems: the float that holds air once inflated and the tough exterior that protects pontoons from damage. Inflatables are ideal for traveling since you can carry them around while deflated, but their durability is limited.
Outriggers with solid floatation devices are made from buoyant PVC material that improves their strength and durability. However, these types are bulky to transport.
When buying an outrigger, your needs will inspire the design you choose. If you want a stabilizer to travel with, then inflatables are a better option. If you are looking for durability and don’t mind the bulkiness, go for the solid choice.
Outriggers are meant to boost your stability on the water by increasing the kayak’s buoyancy to guarantee your safety. Different stabilizer systems offer different buoyancy levels, which equals stability. Suppose you plan to stand while fishing or taking photos, find an outrigger with high buoyancy to increase stability. Most outriggers indicate their buoyancy levels, but you should choose depending on the size of your kayak. If you have a wide kayak, choose large floats to increase your surface area and floatability.
3. Compatibility And Ease Of Installation
Some outriggers are universal fitting, meaning they can work on any kayak, while others are designed for specific kayaks. Always ensure the outrigger you choose is compatible with your watercraft and is easy to install. Sometimes, you might find an outrigger that requires you to call an expert to install, which can be quite a hassle.
An outrigger that is easy to install shouldn’t require drilling or modification on your kayak. Its placement should also leave enough clearance to ensure it doesn’t interfere with your paddling.
4. Price Of The Outrigger
Before you start searching for the perfect outrigger to buy, ensure you have a budget. This will help you gauge what you can get and compare options. A good outrigger will cost between 200 and 300 bucks. Look for quality and compare prices to ensure you get value for your money.
Frequently Asked Questions On Best Canoe Outriggers
In this section, we answer some of the common questions about outriggers to answer those you have that have not been addressed in the article. We hope to help you solve your dilemma.
1. What Are The Benefits Of Kayak Outriggers?
Kayak outriggers are meant to add buoyancy and stability to your kayak, thus decreasing the possibility of tippling over. Anglers use outriggers to help them stand on the boat while casting or fly fishing without fear of losing balance or rocking. Outriggers also help you manage choppy waters with much ease due to the added buoyancy.
Outriggers also help beginners find balance as they learn to paddle and increase stability when paddling with pets or kids. Some people also use outriggers when carrying a lot of extra weight or sailing in windy climates to counter the wind.
2. How Do You Install Outriggers On Your Kayak?
Installation of outriggers varies depending on the model of your boat and the stabilizer system that you buy. Some systems come with installation manuals, while others will require you to have some experience to mount. If you purchased an outrigger and are unsure how to mount it, check the manufacturer’s website for instructions or have an expert install it for you.
3. Do Outriggers Slow Down Your Kayak?
Yes, one of the downsides of using outriggers is that your kayak might experience some drag, thus slowing you down. For anglers, speed isn’t much of a big deal, and it shouldn’t bother you. If your outrigger system has adjustable arms, you can lift the arms out of water when you need to paddle faster. If you are looking for stability, then speed shouldn’t bother you as much.
Kayak outriggers are great additions to your vessels if you are looking for stability. For beginners, they help you get the hang of paddling without worrying about toppling over. Ensure you choose an outrigger that is compatible with your kayak and will be durable. You can select any outrigger on our list that suits your needs and is within your budget. Our best pick is the SCOTTY 302 stabilizer system since it is durable, affordable, easy to install, and universal. You should try it and let us know how you like it. We hope that this guide was enlightening, and you can now choose a kayak outrigger with ease.
Last update on 2023-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API