When choosing a kayak for fishing, you have to pay attention to the ease and convenience of getting on and off the kayak. This is why sit-on-top kayaks are the best option for kayak fishing. This type of kayak offers more storage space and it is very easy to get in and out of the kayak. Moreover, sit-on-top kayaks are very stable compared to other types of kayaks and it is also a very important factor.
In this article, we feature 10 of the best fishing kayaks that cost less than $2000 and compare them; we also tell you what each kayak is best suited for and take you through a buying guide to help you choose a kayak according to your need and also answer some of the common questions for kayak anglers. Read on!
Top Ten Fishing Kayaks Under $2000
This section lists all the kayaks on our list with a link where you can buy and get more details from the seller. If you are in a rush and can’t go through the whole post now, this section is for you.
1. Most Versatile: No products found.
2. Best For Rivers: No products found.
3. Most Stable Inflatable Kayak: No products found.
4. Best Hybrid Kayak: No products found.
5. Best Budget Kayak: No products found.
6. Easiest To Setup: No products found.
7. Most Comfortable Angling Kayak: No products found.
8. Best For Family Adventures: No products found.
9. Best Maneuverability: No products found.
10. Best For Fly Fishing: Jackson mayfly kayak
Best Fishing Kayaks Under $2000 Comparison Table
|Kayak Name||Best For||Specifications||Rating|
|No products found.||Versatility||Measures 9’6″Weighs 4lbEquipped with exopak for extra storage It has a capacity of 275 lbs||4.5 out of 5|
|No products found.||River kayaking||Leakproof construction and added buoyancyAmple storage for all your needs It comes with gear tracks, fishfinder consoles, and rod holders||4.0 out of 5|
|No products found.||Stable inflatable kayak||Made with super-tough but lightweight PVC for durabilityHigh-pressure inflation for stability and rigidity||4.4 out of 5|
|No products found.||Hybrid kayak||Combines best features of a kayak and canoe Can be used for fishing or huntingCustomizable design that allows you to position seats where you want||4.0 out of 5|
|No products found.||Budget||Has a wind-shedding deck, a customizable platform, and is extra stable. Designed for extra comfort||4.3 out of 5|
|No products found.||Easiest to setup||Wide and spacious kayak3- person capacity Suitable for up to class II white water rating||4.5 out of 5|
|No products found.||Comfort when angling||Well-constructed and stable Super comfortable with footrests, adjustable padded seats, and rod holders||4.4 out of 5|
|No products found.||Family adventure||Spacious enough to fit 3Comes fully loaded with accessories Crafted for stability||4.0 out of 5|
|No products found.||maneuverability||Has a storage platform, dry hatch, and quick lock hatch Comes with accessories like carrying handles, adjustable footrests, paddle tie-downs, and a bottle holder||4.4 out of 5|
Top Ten Fishing Kayaks Under $2000
In this section, we take you through the kayaks on our list in detail. We look at the features, specifications, pros, and cons of each kayak. Go through this section to better understand each kayak and find one that suits your needs best. Then, let us dive right in!
1. Most Versatile: Pelican Sit-on-Top Kayak – Sentinel 100X
No products found.
|Color: light khaki|
|Dimensions: 114” x30”x 13.25”|
|Maximum capacity: 275 lb|
The pelican kayak brand has made a name for producing quality boats, which is no exception. The pelican sentinel 100x is a lightweight sit-on-top model that is stable and easy to maneuver. Casting from this kayak is effortless and enjoyable, and your fishing adventures will feel better.
This kayak is made for slow-moving waters on lakes or rivers. It has enough storage space to fit your essentials and fish. In addition, the kayak comes with extra accessories such as a smartphone holder, adjustable footrests, accessory eyelets, and rod tie-downs.
1. Has a multi-chine flat bottom hull– this hull is designed to ensure stability. It also comes with a removable storage compartment that fits into the tank
2. Lightweight kayak– this makes the kayak easy to store and transport
3. Made from patented ram-X – to guarantee durability and long-term use
1. Affordable and great quality
2. Spacious storage
3. Comes with bungee cords
4. Stable with excellent maneuverability
1. Not ideal for standing on
2. Best For Rivers: Perception Pescador Pilot 12
No products found.
|Max capacity||475 lbs|
|Boat weight||85 lbs|
Do you love fishing in rivers that have hidden fishing gems? If yes, this is the perfect kayak for you. The perception Pescador helps you maneuver tight spots and can be used on slightly rough waters while still maintaining comfort.
The kayak features a lawn-style mesh seat for all-day comfort and a pedal system for better performance. its storage is enough for all your gear and accessory since it has front and rear storage.
1. Pedal-driven performance -the kayaks pedal system is designed for resisting the draft
2. Leakproof construction with built-in buoyancy– this type of construction guarantees extra safety since the kayak stays afloat without the risk of water leaking into your boat
3. Has accessories to make your fishing experience better– it comes with gear tracks, a fishfinder console, and four-rod holders
4. Has integrated accessory rails for mounting accessories
5. Ideal for rivers, lakes, ponds, and streams
1. Well designed
2. Immense value for money
1. Rod holders may be too large
3. Most Stable Inflatable Kayak: Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayak
No products found.
|Maximum capacity||400 lb( 280 kg)|
|Inflated size||12″ 7″ x3″ 1×1’6”|
|Kayak weight||39.01 lb|
Inflatable kayaks come in handy when you don’t want to carry bulky hard shell kayaks for your adventure. If you are looking for an inflatable kayak that is stable enough for fishing, look no further. Intex excursion pro has been designed with the needs of anglers in mind. It is made with super-rigid laminate PVC and a polyester core to make it lightweight but resistant to damage. It is easy to inflate and deflate with high-pressure inflation, which adds to the kayak’s stability. You can use this kayak in fresh and saltwater and also in shallow or deep waters.
1. Lightweight and resistant to damage from sunlight, abrasion, and impact- making it the perfect kayak for long adventures
2. Has high-pressure spring-loaded valves – these valves are meant for easy inflation and deflation
3. Features high-pressure inflation, which makes it more rigid and stable
4. It comes with removable and adjustable mounting brackets for any accessory
5. It comes with a high-output pump and aluminum oars
1. Easy to inflate
3. Comfortable for single and tandem use
4. Easy to transport and store
1. A bit pricey compared to other inflatable kayaks
Related Kayak: kayaks for big guys
4. Best Hybrid Kayak: 2021 NuCanoe Frontier 12 Kayak
No products found.
|Maximum capacity||400 lbs|
A hybrid kayak combines the best features of kayaks and canoes to give you the best of both worlds. Nucanoe frontier is the ultimate hybrid canoe designed for anglers and hunters: it is designed for different experiences, including fly fishing in saltwater and bass fishing in rivers to maximize your experience. In addition, the kayak is ridiculously stable, making it easy for you to stand and have 360 degrees of mobility as you fish. You will enjoy having this kayak as part of your fishing adventures.
1. It has a 20″ wide cast and blast deck, making it stable
2. Its design is versatile and customizable
3. Ideal for solo and tandem use
4. Comfortable and easy to paddle
1. Stable and comfortable
2. It comes with a seat and decking kit
1. The deck may swell along the center if not maintained properly
5. Best Budget Kayak: Wilderness Systems ATAK 120
No products found.
|Kayak weight||86 lbs|
For anglers on a budget looking for a spacious and durable kayak, this should be your go-to. The wilderness systems ATAK (advanced tactical angling kayak) 120 is top-tier in terms of stability and maneuverability. You can stand up on the kayak and make your casts with ease. If you love customizable platforms on your kayak, you will love this kayak. It gives you lots of space to work with and helps you stay organized. The kayak has a unique seat design that makes it super comfortable and functional. The seat is adjustable and recliner for maximum comfort. You also get adjustable footrests on the kayaks, and it’s a guarantee that you can’t go wrong with this vessel.
1. Advanced tactical angling kayak
2. Super comfortable recliner airport Max seat
3. Features a flex pod removable console
4. Rudder-ready design
1. Comfortable and stable
2. Durable yet affordable
1. Storage space might be limiting
6. Easiest To Setup: Sea Eagle 385fta Fasttrack Inflatable Kayak
No products found.
|Maximum capacity||635 lbs|
|Kayak weight||45 lbs|
This sea eagle inflatable kayak is a win if you want to get into the water without wasting time setting up your kayak. It only takes an average of 7 minutes to inflate the kayak and get onto the adventure. It has a three-person capacity and can be used for a kayaking adventure with friends.
1. Made from high-quality, durable material– this kayak is made with denier-reinforced material with an electronically welded seam for extra durability.
2. Inflatable and easy to set up, you can carry this kayak everywhere you go and inflate it when you need to. It takes less than ten minutes to set up, and it can withstand a class II white water rating.
1. Lightweight and easy to carry
2. Fast and effortless setup
1. Doesn’t come with fishing rods
7. Most Comfortable Angling Kayak: Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
No products found.
|Max capacity||275 lbs|
|Kayak weight||54 lbs|
Tall anglers have a hard time finding a comfortable kayak with enough legroom: if you are among them, worry no more. A lifetime tamarack kayak is a dependable kayak that is spacious and comfortable. This kayak also has enough storage space for your fishing gear and accessories. It also comes with sealable storage compartments for your valuables and accessories, such as an adjustable seat back and rod holders. You can use the boat on streams, rivers, or lakes since it is durable and has straight tracking.
1. Made from polyethylene that’s high density and UV-protected
2. It comes with two-rod holders and two storage compartments
3. Offers multiple footrest positions
1. Perfect for tall anglers
2. Stable and durable
4. Can be used on rivers, streams, and lakes
8. Best For Family Adventures: BKC TK122U 12′ 6″ Tandem 2 or 3 Person SIt On Top Fishing Kayak
No products found.
|Brand||BKC(Brooklyn kayak company)|
Are you looking to kayak with your partner or small family but can’t find the perfect kayak? Then this tandem kayak is for you. The kayak is designed to carry three people, making it ideal for a family adventure. This kayak is stable and durable and can be used on lakes, rivers, and oceans. The tandem kayak can handle waves and moving currents even in oceans. Our favorite feature of this kayak has to be its weight capacity of 770 lbs which allows you to carry as much gear as you may need. It also has plenty of storage space for your valuables, coolers, and weekend gear. Not forgetting the built-in rod holders and paddle packs to make your fishing fun and hassle-free.
1. It has water-resistant storage – this is ideal for keeping your valuables dry as you explore the waters. The storage has watertight hatches, and they are all located within reach.
2. Made from high-density polyethylene, this kayak’s material makes it stable in all fishing conditions and can support weights of 770 lbs. you can use the kayak on rivers, lakes, and oceans on both swift and choppy glasses of water.
3. It comes with all accessories you might need– this tandem kayak comes with two aluminum frame seats, two aluminum paddles, two waterproof hatches, four built-in rod holders, two paddle parks, and one bungee cargo tie-down
1. Aesthetically pleasing
2. Enough storage for all your catch
3. Lightweight and functional
1. Seat position doesn’t allow one person to addle alone
Looking for a big man kayak? Check this: High weight capacity kayak
9. Best Maneuverability: Pelican Sit-On-Top Basscreek 100xp Angler
No products found.
|Maximum capacity||325 lb|
|Kayak weight||50 lb|
This pelican bass creek 100xp angler kayak has to be on top of the list for sit-on-top kayaks. The kayak is designed to maneuver through the tightest of spaces, and you will love every fishing adventure on this kayak. It is lightweight and easy to carry with retractable carrying handles. The kayak has a multi-chine flat bottom hull design for extra stability and excellent tracking. Storage is also not an issue with this kayak since you get a locked hatch at the front and a 4″ day hatch with a storage bag, and a storage platform with bungee cords.
1. Open cockpit for ease of entry– this pelican kayak is a one-person sit-on-top kayak easy to get in and carry around. It has two carrying handles, making it easy for one person to carry it alone for their adventure.
2. Offers excellent tracking and stability– the hull is designed to provide ultra-stability and excellent tracking even with a capacity of 325 lb.
3. An ergonomic seating system makes it ideal for long adventures- the seat of the kayak seat has padded cushions and adjustable backrest cushions to provide better support.
1. Aesthetically pleasing and ergonomically crafted
2. Great for the price
1. Only meant for one person
10. Best For Fly Fishing: Jackson Mayfly Kayak
|Maximum capacity||450 lb|
Fly fishing is enjoyable when you have the right kayak and are prepared. This Jackson mayfly kayak will help you venture into unique spots with maximum comfort and preparedness. The kayak has a low-profile hull design that makes it more stable. It has a wide standing area that makes casting smooth and enjoyable. This will be the only fly-fishing kayak you will ever need since it is strong and durable.
1. Designed for fly fishing– this kayak has an open cockpit design with a flat deck, making sure your fly line doesn’t snag. Since most snagging is caused by footpegs, this particular kayak has an adjustable foot brace in place of footpegs.
2. Have rod holders designed specifically for fly rods- the kayak has a depression at the kayak floor just in front of the seat to hold your fly reel securely as you paddle. You also get a place to secure the handle of your rod as you detangle its tip.
3. Well-thought-out storage features– the kayak has two hatched storage compartments at the front and back secured with locking lids. The front compartment has a tray insert when you need to store small items without losing them deep in the hull.
1. Designed for fly fishing
2. Ample storage
1. Relatively bulky
Factors To Consider When Buying A Fishing Kayak (Buying Guide)
With so many options of fishing kayaks in the market, choosing one that will satisfy your needs can be mind-boggling. In this section, we help you narrow down the options by telling you which features should guide you. When buying a fishing kayak, ensure you consider these factors to ensure you get the most suitable boat for you.
1. Design Of The Kayak
When choosing a kayak, you have two options for design: a sit-on-top kayak and a sit-in kayak. Sit-in kayaks are less common for fishing but are decent and a good chance too. They are designed with an enclosed cockpit meaning you put your legs below the kayak’s deck. This design ensures your feet remain dry when paddling in a colder climate, but you may need more time getting in and out of the kayak. Sit-in kayaks are mostly preferred for recreational use since you can paddle faster and maneuver with greater ease.
Most models of fishing kayaks sit on top, meaning your legs are not confined in a cockpit. With this kayak design, you can get in and out of the boat with ease and even stand up in the kayak to get a perfect cast. In addition, the kayak having an open-top ensure it has plenty of storage space, and you can easily access your fishing accessories anytime. The design you end up choosing should be inspired by what you intend to use the kayak for. If it is purely for fishing, we recommend a sit-on-top kayak.
2. Dimensions Of The Kayak (Length And Width)
The kayak dimensions you end up choosing will determine the kayak’s maneuverability, speed, and stability. Longer kayaks are known to be the fastest, and if you are fishing in open bodies of water, we recommend getting a kayak that is 3.5 meters or longer since you will cover more water. On the other hand, if you are fishing in rivers, streams, or creeks, you may have to opt for a kayak shorter than 3 meters since it will be easier to handle. The width of your kayak also plays a significant role in the kayak’s stability. The best kayak to choose should have a wide width to keep them from toppling as an angler. If you want more speed and maneuverability, choose a narrower kayak.
3. Weight Of The Kayak
When looking for a fishing kayak, also consider its weight. A kayak’s weight is crucial when transporting it and also setting it up. Ensure the kayak’s weight is something you can manage, especially if you will be kayaking solo. The kayak’s weight can be determined by whether it is a hard-shell kayak or an inflatable one. Inflatable kayaks are lightweight, and you can carry them quickly on your own. However, if you will be kayaking as a group, you can opt for a hard-shell kayak that’s more durable and stable since you will have a helping hand, and the weight of the kayak won’t be much of a big deal.
4. Storage And Weight Capacity
Every kayak has different specifications on the weight and items it can comfortably accommodate. Before you begin your search for a fishing kayak, ensure you have your needs in check. How much storage space do you need for your gear? What is the average weight of persons and belongings for your fishing trips? Having this defined will help you choose a kayak that is functional to you. Make sure the kayak you choose can accommodate all your fishing essentials and their weight, leaving enough leeway for the weight of your catch. To be safe, choose a kayak whose weight limits exceed your maximum weight needs.
We hope that you’ve found a kayak that suits your needs from our list, and you will know how to choose the best for you. Our top picks are PELICAN SENTINEL since they are versatile and easy to use and give you immense value for money and SEA EAGLE 385 if you want the inflatable option. These two kayaks have excellent construction at the perfect price point. Depending on your specific need, you will find a kayak that works for you on the list. Happy kayaking.
Last update on 2023-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API