No matter how lazy you are, the beach is not somewhere you just lay on the sand or sit on the rag staring at others. There are so many things that you can do, including swimming and jet skiing along the coast. If you have the best kayak for dogs who love adventures, you can even paddle with your German Shepherd or Chihuahua. Thereby, granting you both an extraordinary moment, with different sights and smells of the water.
Of course, you might feel intimidated if you have never done this kind of kayaking before. But with proper preparation, the overall experience will be as smooth and effortless as when riding in your SUV.
The following are some of the skills that can help prepare your dog for kayaking.
Before the outing, you have to make sure the dog is comfortable in or around water. It can come in handy in the event of tipping over or if your little friend fell into the water. Nonetheless, the skill is not very crucial if your pooch is wearing a life jacket.
- Tolerance to PFD [personal floatation device]
A floatation device is an essential tool for every participant in canoeing or kayaking. It’s a safety precautionary measure that your dog also has to have while out there on the water.
Even so, you will need to make sure your pooch is comfortable wearing his PFD before embarking on the trip. If you’ll be using a lifejacket, you’ll, therefore, need to first train him on how to stay with one.
- Follow basic commands
For this one, it will help ensure that your dog can safely board and disembark from the kayak. You will just need to teach simple commands that he will understand quickly and obey. Some include, “get into the boat”, Lay down”, “Get in your spot”, “Leave it”, etc.
- Ignore exciting distractions
Just like kids, dogs can be easily distracted by simple things like floating sticks, ducks, seals, jumping dolphins, or other kayaks. Therefore, you will need to teach him how to cope with such occurrences without going after them in the water. Teaching basic commands can certainly help [although not in all cases].
- Familiarize with the Kayak
Lastly, you will need to acquaint your dog with the kayak while on dry land. You can do this by hiding little treats inside it, and then let her sniff and find them. Also, you can sit in the kayak while you play with the pet fetch. Then, give her treats and praise when she comes back to you.
After doing this severally, your dog will connect you and “kayak” with the concept of fun. So, she will always be inclined to come whenever she sees you there.
Top 7 Kayak For Dogs & Required Accessories In 2020 (Best Picks)
In a hurry? Check the bestseller top Kayak For Dogs from Amazon. Just check the product link, the details and price.
Top-rated Kayaks That Are Good for Dogs
Despite the excitement, quite a number of tour companies and public kayaking groups don’t allow pets on their boats. You will hear them say that they’re not against your beagle paddling, but they “fear for his safety”.
For this, it’s usually best you own your equipment that you can do what you want when you pleases.
Just like any other industry, however, the water sports business has a wide selection of kayaks, each featuring different styles and models. As such, no matter which differences you are looking for, there’s a kayak to serve your needs.
Here is a list of products to help you choose the best kayak for dogs like yours faster and effectively.
1. Our Top Pick: Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
Overall, this is our favorite product from the list. Not because of its high rating on Amazon, but from its high efficiency. It consists of an inflatable heavy-duty boat set, two aluminum paddles, and an air pump.
The boat is made of a tough 3-layer vinyl construction that is puncture-resistant to enable durability and less maintenance. It has a capacity of up to 180kg, which means it can hold two adults comfortably without bursting or sinking into the waters.
Unlike many on the coast, this kayak has two inflatable seats that have backrests to ensure maximum solace as you paddle. Both are adjustable and removable. Hence, you can detach either of them to create more room for your large dog.
Speaking of that, the equipment has an inflammable floor. Hence, you might need to lay a towel or an improvised dog mat to prevent him from puncturing with his nails.
- The kayak can be easily deflated to allow portability
- It has two inflatable seats that you can easily remove if you want to lie in it
- Comes with two aluminum rowing oars
- Has a removable SKEG to help keep your boat running straight in the event of a crosswind
- Can carry a total weight of up to 400 pounds
- Includes two grab handles to enable easy pulling from the water
- The kayak features a bright yellow color, which can be an added advantage in case of an emergency.
What we don’t like about it:
Although it has many spectacular features, this boat has an inflatable floor and the maker doesn’t include an extra solid cover. As such, you will need to get a mat so that your dog can ride with you without piercing with his nails.
2. Best Value:Sea Eagle 330 Deluxe Inflatable Kayak
When speaking of the best value, we are not meaning the most affordable product, but which is worth its cost. And by just looking at this sport kayak, you will genuinely agree with us its price tag is surely worth it.
It’s available in beautiful white style, with a spacious, cozy cockpit for you and your dog. The kayak consists of an inflatable floor, starboard, and port. So, it’s very easy to move around with during your trips.
With a total capacity of up to 500 pounds, this kayak can carry two persons and still accommodate your dog safely. It even has a makeshift deck that your pooch can stand his front limbs or slip under and sleep.
In case you get tired of paddling, the deluxe seats of this kayak are removable. So, you can detach them and lie on the floor to enjoy the amusement of the sun.
- It features a polykrylar hull material, which is tough [like hard shell] and highly resistant to wear and tear
- Comes in a beautiful white design, with two inflatable seats with backrests
- Can carry a total capacity of up to 500 pounds
- Has two SKEGs to guarantee optimal stability and speed, even in a windy or smooth/ slight sea
- There are bow and stern lines to haul or secure the vessel to the buoy
- It comes with two aluminum paddles for immediate use
- The boat has a self-bailing drain valve to remove the water entering into the interior
What we don’t like about it:
Despite their coziness, the seats of the boat have no attachment. This causes them to slide sometimes, thereby making it uncomfortable to sit.
3. Best Budget: Intex Challenger K1 Inflatable Kayak Set
Just like the challenger car models, this boat is surely easing and relaxing. It’s a one-person model but you can use it with your Airdale Terrier dog without any drawbacks. All you have to do is ensure you don’t exceed the total capacity weight of 220 pounds.
Its body is a heavy-duty inflatable vinyl material, which is actually hard for your dog to pierce with her nails. However, we’d recommend getting a dog mat to avoid the risk of puncturing and avoid unnecessary regrets.
Also, the seat of the kayak is inflatable and it has backrest plus attachments to allow a better sitting. You can even remove it and share the blown-up floor with your little furry friend.
Thanks to its low price tag, this kayak is very easy to get when on a tight budget. It’s also highly economical if you need more than one piece for your kids or your canoeing group.
- The vessel supports a single person and a total maximum capacity of 220 pounds
- It has a pleasant cockpit, with an inflated floor and a closed deck
- Comes with one aluminum oar, pressure pump, and repair kit
- Has a cargo net to hold your extra gear or your fish after the hunt
- It’s easy to tow due to the included grab line
- Has a removable SKEG to maintain stability and straight movement
- As an inflatable vessel, the kayak is very simple to carry around the beaches and river banks.
What we don’t like about it
The two issues with this boat are the size and the paddle. Its interior is only 5 foot and that means taller people [above 6’] cannot ride comfortably. The included paddle, on the other hand, is not worth praise. So, you might need to get a better one soon.
4. Best Design: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105 Recreational Kayak
If you had thought kayaks are meant to be just uninteresting rowing boats, think again. This piece from the Wilderness Systems creators has a unique design and innovative features to make paddling super exciting.
The kayak has a high-density polyethylene body that is tough enough to withstand bumps and scratches. You can even ride with your pooch without ever worrying about his nails. It has a generous cockpit, with incredible thigh and knee padding for comfortable support and optimal boat control.
On top of that, this vessel has the proprietary Phase 3 AirPro seat which features ergonomic 3D foam and backrest to support your lower back. Still, its closed deck has a molded-in console to hold small items like your water bottle. But there’s also a dry stern hatch where you can keep larger gear safe and dry.
- The kayak is very easy to handle and control. Hence, fit for both amateur and experienced kayakers
- It has a lovely cockpit that assures optimal comfort while paddling
- Has a removable SKEG with cockpit control to ensure you remain on course in current
- It’s a single-person model but can carry up to a 400-pound weight
- Features a smart and spacious storage unit
- Comes in colorful styling with a hardshell body that is pet-friendly
- The boat has two handles for easier and comfortable carrying
What we don’t like about it:
The only single drawback of this boat is that it doesn’t have a self-bailing drain valve. Thus, you might need to remove any water that enters manually.
5. Best for Professionals: Intex Excursion Inflatable Pro Kayak
That’s right. The kayak is designed for intermediate paddlers, but that doesn’t’ mean you cannot ride if you’re a beginner. It has a lightweight but heavy-duty PVC body that is highly resistant to wear and tear.
The boat has a spacious cockpit, with inflatable seats that you can even remove to create enough space for your pooch. Its floor is also inflatable and there is an integrated drain plug to remove the water that might come in.
The kayak comes with two paddles and a hi-output pump with a pressure gauge to make sure you don’t put in too much air. The set also includes a bag that you can put the whole equipment and enjoy easy moving.
- It has a large interior that can fit two adult persons comfortably
- The inflatable seats have a backrest, plus excursion attachments to prevent unnecessary movements
- Comes with two adjustable flour mounted footrests
- The boat has a removable directional skeg to remain in the course even against crosswinds
- Can float with you plus the dog as long you don’t exceed the 400-pound weight limit
- Has a mounting bracket to hold accessories like GPS systems, fish finders, and rod
- As an inflatable kayak, you can carry it with you easily and comfortable for miles
What we don’t like about it:
The single problem with this item is that there is no place to attach the oars when you are not using them. Considering it’s a professional vessel, we would expect the feature to be present instead of keeping them in your lap.
6. Best Alternative 1: Old Town Loon 120 Recreational single Kayak
This is an incredible alternative that you will truly enjoy paddling along the Hudson River and other small water bodies. It features a lovely design, with a 3-pry polyethylene hull construction. Hence, tough enough to withstand rocky streams, as well as the nails of your pooch.
The cockpit is also ultra-enjoyable to sit in, following its adjustable active comfort system [ACS2] seat and the padded thigh and knee support.
As a recreational system, this kayak has plenty of storage to hold the essential gear you would love to carry with you. It has a molded-in deck console that you can use to put in small items like water bottles and a camera. And also there is a larger dry stern storage that you can keep stuff like food and change clothes.
Thanks to the improvised USB port, this hand-powered vessel can keep your gadgets charged, even after hours of paddling.
- The Kayak comes in a sleek rugged hull to serve your looks preference
- It can float with you and your dog as long you don’t exceed 375-pound weight
- Features a fine cozy seat that has a backrest to support the lower back
- Has a smart storage unit that comprises of a removable workdeck and a click seal hatch
- Its body is a tough triple-layer polyethylene hull. Thus, you can ride without worrying about your dog’s nails
- There is a drain plug to remove any water getting inside the basin
What we don’t like about it:
Despite the unbeatable comfort and utility, this kayak is only for recreational water sports. It won’t be effective for fishing if that’s the idea you had.
7. Best Alternative 2:Sevylor Big Basin Inflatable Kayak
Just as its name suggests, this kayak has quite a large basin that can hold up to three adults. You can also share it with your adult son, alongside your two dogs, as long your total weight doesn’t exceed 490 pounds.
The watercraft has an industrial-strength PVC construction, with a Tarpaulin bottom to protect again punctures. It has three Boston valves that allow easy filling of air in the three inflatable chambers.
Each of the included seats is adjustable and has a makeshift holder that you can use to fit your water bottle. Behind the back seat, there is also some space that you can use to keep your gear.
As for the performance, the kayak is stable and moves over water petty well. It does have a slot to insert the skeg [optional] and ensure the boat remains on a straight course.
- The boat is NMMA certified to carry up to 490 pounds
- It comprises of three inflatable chambers, including the floor, port, and starboard
- Has a rugged, heavy-duty body to allow longer use
- Include three seats with excursion attachments to prevent unnecessary movements
- The basin is spacious enough for you and your two German Shepherds
- It’s stable and tracks well on both flat and moving water
- Unlike many, this kayak has a Tarpaulin bottom to protect against punctures
What we don’t like about it:
Although it’s a cool and quite affordable, this kayak does not come with paddles or pump. Also, the inflatable floor has mini-Boston valves, which might be hard to get when you need to replace it.
Buying Guide: Essential Tips to Consider While Choosing the Best Kayak for Dogs
While browsing through a selection of dog-friendly kayaks, you have to consider several things if you’re to enjoy optimally. They include:
The Dog Breed
Is your dog the small size type like Chihuahua and Toy Maltese, or is he a large breed like German Shepherd? With an answer to this question, you will know if you need a single, double, or three-person kayak. You will also know the maximum capacity you will need to consider.
Where Will You Be Kayaking
That’s right. On which waters are you planning to use your kayak?
There are vessels for flowing rivers, still lakes, tidy coasts, and some compatible with all. Therefore, before you even visit the particular water sports store, discern where exactly you will be kayaking. If unsure, pick a boat with a removable skeg to ensure you can move smoothly on any water type.
How Far Is the Kayaking Location
For his one, it will help you answer the question about the movement of your equipment. Most kayaks are usually lightweight, but some are far much easier to move than others. For instance, an inflatable boat is quick and effortless to move around with. When deflated, it can fit on a bag that you can carry on your back or hands easily. Hence, highly efficient if you’re traveling far.
Well, money is everything and the core driver of all desires. It’s what will determine the type of material, utilities, as well as the size of the boat to get.
If you have a significant budget, for instance, you can get a top-quality kayak that is high performing and has lovely boat-related features. But if you want multiple systems for your upcoming competition, then you can look for a less expensive model. The same goes for when you have a tight budget but you don’t want to rent the equipment.
In the past few years, a lot of people have started to indulge in kayaking. Not just for the fun of it, but because it’s also a great workout for your muscles and cardiovascular health. Furthermore, the water sport is one of the outdoor activities that can help in bonding with your children, or family in general.
If your kaya is dog-friendly, you can even have some exciting moments with your furry friend on the waters. Thereby, building a stronger relationship between you two.
Even so, every paddler [including your dog] should always have a life jacket or any other flotation device while onboard. Even if they tend to be stable, kayaks are so easy to tip over if they are not properly balanced.
Last update on 2020-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API