Pick-up truck bed extenders for kayaks come in handy when you want to transport a kayak from your house to the water. A truck bed extender increases the space of your pickup truck by two to four feet to make it easy to transport long and heavy goods, including kayaks.
There are numerous truck-bed extenders in the market today, and choosing one can be an uphill task. In this article, we take you through the best truck bed extenders specifically meant for kayaks. We also have a buying guide that will help you with what to look for in a good truck bed extender. Please stick with us to the end and get something suitable for your truck.
Our Top Choices For The Best Truck Bed Extenders For Kayaks
Factors To Consider When Buying Truck Bed Extenders For Kayaks
Different factors come to play when deciding which truck bed extender to buy. Some extenders are made for specific vehicles and kayaks. Knowing what you are looking for will make your search more fruitful and enjoyable. In this section, we take you through some of the non-negotiable factors to consider when choosing a truck bed extender.
When choosing a truck bed extender, always go for one that is made of heavy-duty materials. Since kayaks can be pretty heavy, the extender should be able to withstand this weight and ensure your kayak is safe from falling or damage. We recommend an extender made from either heavy-duty steel or aluminum since they hold up excellently for kayaks. When choosing the material, you should also go for a corrosion-resistant one because you might need to transport your kayak while wet.
Always ensure that the truck bed extender is compatible with your pickup truck and kayak. Most extenders are made for a specific vehicle and kayaks models, so be on the lookout for one that matches your needs. While checking for compatibility, it is also advisable to check the size and load specifications, especially for universal extenders. Some bed extenders may not be compatible with every vehicle, so be on the lookout for one compatible with your pickup truck.
3. Ease Of Installing
Getting a bed extender that is easy to install and uninstall without needing the help of a professional is such a huge relief. If you are not a fan of assembling things, you will need a truck bed extender that is easy to install. It is also essential to ensure that the bed extender is easy to uninstall; doing this will make it easy for you to remove it after use and store it without exposing it to harsh elements.
The average price range for a high-quality truck bed extender is $200-$300. You can find cheaper ones and more expensive ones depending on where you are buying and the features you want. Always ensure you have a budget in place before you start shopping around. A budget will help you know what extra features you are getting and narrow down your options. You can get a good extender costing less than 100 bucks, so have a budget and research for the options you can get. This way, you will get value for your money regardless of your budget.
The brand of the truck bed extender isn’t much of a big deal if you know what features you want. If it is your first time getting a bed extender, it is wise to purchase one from a renowned brand. Some brands are known to produce quality and durable items, and you will want to go for such. Some of the brands that stand out are esoteric, Lund and darby. These brands give you quality and value for money since they come with all accessories you might need. If you are trying out a brand that’s not as famous, take your time to read reviews from other customers. Reviews don’t lie, and they help you decide whether the brand is worth buying.
Comparing The Best Truck Bed Extenders For Kayaks
Below is a table comparing the tuck bed extenders for kayaks by their features. This section will help you compare the products with ease and choose one that fits your needs perfectly.
|Truck Bed Extender||Material||Weight||Dimensions||Max. Capacity|
|MaxxHaul 70231 Hitch Mount Truck Bed Extender||Heavy-duty steel||34.5 pounds||37 x 19 x 3 inches||300 pounds|
|ECOTRIC Pick Up Truck Bed Hitch Extender||Impact-resistant steel||27.5 ponds||34.6 x 12.9 x 4.8 inches||750 pounds|
|TMS 800 LB Adjustable Fit||Steel||50.4 pounds||51 x 26.25 x 1.5 inches||800 pounds|
|Lund 601021 Hitch Mounted Truck Bed Extender||Steel||46.2 pounds||39.5 x 21 x 3.5 inches||750 pounds|
|Mockins Heavy Duty Steel Pick Up Truck Bed Extender||Steel||29.4 pounds||34.75 x 13 x 4.5 inches||750 pounds|
1. MaxxHaul 70231 Hitch Mount Truck Bed Extender
This bed extender tops our list because it is affordable, stable, and high-quality. With this truck bed extender, you will carry your kayak without destabilizing the vehicle. The extender provides additional ground clearance to ensure the kayak isn’t damaged during hauling. It is compatible with most vehicles and fits into a standard 2-inch receiver hitch. You can also use this extender to transport other longer loads such as pipes because it is adjustable and versatile.
1. Adjustable length and width for versatility – you can use this bed extender for different applications such as transporting ladder, rack, canoe, lumber, and long pipes.
2. Strong and durable construction– made from heavy-duty steel with a powder coat finish making them durable enough for heavy usage.
3. Easy assembling and disassembling – the truck bed extender features four clevis pins that are quick release making it easy and fast to assemble and disassemble the extender.
4. Has foldable side arms that provide support for a portable work area.
5. Has reflective tape on the sides and front for better visibility at night.
6. Universal and compatible with most vehicles– fits 2″ x 2″ class III and IV receiver hitches.
|Dimensions||37.01 x 19.02 x 2.99 inches|
|Material||heavy duty steel|
|Weight capacity||300 pounds|
2. ECOTRIC Pick Up Truck Bed Hitch Extender
If you have a tight budget but want a hitch extender that is high quality and will perform incredibly well, this is the one for you. This extender costs less than 100 bucks and works as perfectly as other expensive brands. It is made from durable and impact-resistant steel that doesn’t bend or break with heavy loads. This extender is also universal and fits into 2″ square hitch receivers; they can also be used with a hitch adapter on 11/4 receivers.
1. Extends the truck bed by four feet and distributes the kayak weight evenly – if you have a longer kayak, you will enjoy having this truck bed hitch extender since it provides the extra length you need. It also distributes weight evenly to ensure your pickup stays balanced.
2. Weight capacity of 750 pounds makes it ideal for heavier vessels – you can ferry even the bulkiest kayak on your pick up, thanks to this vast weight capacity.
3. Has safety features such as a safety flag and reflective tape on the sides and front.
|Dimensions||34.6 x 12.9 x 4.8 inches|
|Max weight capacity||750 pounds|
3. TMS 800 LB Adjustable Fit
This truck bed extender is a ladder rack design that works exceptionally well for hauling kayaks, canoes, lumber, pipes, ladders, and other long and bulky items. If you intend to transport multiple kayaks, this is a good fit since it has a weight capacity of 800 pounds and is spacious and strong enough to hold up to three vessels. This ladder rack is compatible with most pickup trucks and adds about 30 inches to the height of your vehicle and 5-7 feet to the width of the bed.
1. Multifunctional and adjustable steel ladder rack – the rack is perfect for hauling various items since it is adjustable to different sizes.
2. Sturdy frame with a weight capacity of 800 pounds– the frame’s strength will marvel you since it withstands heavy loads quite well without denting. With this rack, you are sure that your kayak is safe and won’t fall off the truck bed.
3. You can place your kayak on top and utilize the rest of the truck bed for other stuff.
|Max. capacity||800 pounds|
|Dimensions||26.25 x 1.5 inches|
4. Lund 601021 Hitch Mounted Truck Bed Extender
This Lund hitch rack truck bed extender allows you to carry long cargo, including kayaks, canoes, lumber, and even pipes. It provides an additional ground clearance of 7- inches and has side wings adjusted from 27- 49 inches. The maximum weight capacity of this extender is 750 pounds making it ideal for heavier and larger vessels. The extender also has side support that folds down when needed. You can use this extender on multiple vehicles since it fits a standard 2-inch receiver hitch.
1. A universal extender compatible with most vehicles is designed to fit a standard 2-inch receiver hitch, making it easily consistent with any pickup truck.
2. Impressive quality and value for money– for less than 160 bucks, you get this extender that is of extremely excellent quality. It is heavy and solid, making it durable and worth every penny you spend on it.
3. Designed for safety, this extender comes with a safety flag and red reflective tape to increase dark conditions’ visibility, thus avoiding accidents.
|Dimensions||39.5 x 21 x 3.5 inches|
|Max. Load capacity||750 pounds|
5. Mockins Heavy Duty Steel Pick Up Truck Bed Extender
This truck bed extender extends your truck bed for a more straightforward hauling of long and bulky stuff. You can use the extender for canoes, kayaks, or even pipes due to its versatility. The extender is adjustable with a width of 28.8 inches to 47.7 inches and 20.7 inches to 28.6 inches. It has a maximum load capacity of 750 lbs which is significant enough for any kayak. This truck extender is made from heavy-duty steel with a rust-proof coating to keep your kayak and vehicle safe from corrosion.
1. It has a universal fit – this truck bed extender can fit any truck with a 2-inch hitch receiver. It can also be used on a 1.25-inch hitch using a hitch adapter.
2. Easy to install and disassemble – the extender comes with four quick-release clevis pins that make it easy to assemble and disassemble.
3. Has reflective red tape on the back and sides for visibility at night.
|Dimensions||34.75 x 13 x 4.5 inches|
|Weight capacity||750 lbs|
Frequently Asked Questions On Best Truck Bed Extenders
In this section, we take you through some common questions regarding truck bed extenders that we might not have answered in the article.
1. Are Truck Bed Extenders Universal?
Most truck bed extenders are universal and can be used on any pickup truck for any kayak model. However, some extenders are designed for specific vehicles and kayak models, ensure the extender you end up choosing is compatible with your truck and kayak.
2. Is It Hard To Install A Truck Bed Extender?
No, installing isn’t such a challenging task because most of them come with a manual with instructions on installing and uninstalling. Some extenders may require you to drill some holes on your frame to install them, but that’s relatively easy if you have the tools.
3. How Many Kayaks Can A Bed Extender Hold?
This will depend on the capacity of the extender. Some truck bed extenders are specifically meant for one kayak. Some do not indicate the number of kayaks but have weight limits to guide you on how many vessels you can carry. Other extenders are designed for more than one vessel and have higher weight limits and dimensions to accommodate multiple kayaks.
4. Can I Custom Make A Truck Bed Extender?
This will depend purely on your expertise and skills in making such equipment. You can DIY an extender that is compatible with your truck. But be open-minded if you decide to go the DIY route; the results might be fulfilling or disappointing. You might also end up spending more money than you would have paid to buy a ready-made extender. Ensure you follow all the safety specifications to make an extender that is safe to use.
5. What Are The Benefits Of A Truck Bed Extender?
A truck bed extender has multiple benefits, including adding extra space to your truck bed. If you often find yourself short of space on your truck, then you might need an extender. More space on your vehicle means you make fewer trips because you will carry more stuff in a single trip. Some designs of truck bed extenders, such as the tailgate, also keep goods safe from falling as you transport them.
Truck bed extenders come in many different sizes and types, and those meant for kayaks can be challenging to find. Choosing the best extender requires research to find a suitable one. We hope that this article is resourceful to you and has helped you determine what kind you need. We researched so you won’t have to spend your precious time and money on trial and error.
When choosing a truck bed extender, always ensure you consider the critical factors to you. This will help you get a product that exceeds your expectations—all the best as you find the most convenient way to transport your long and heavy kayaks.
Briggs is from Chandler, Arizona, USA. Besides riding on his dirt bike on Grand Canyon – he loves fishing and often go kayaking in Colorado River with his best friends Mike. A cute dog named Ketty gives the company while Briggs kayaks alone.
Last update on 2021-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API