I’ve been into kayaking for a while now, and based on my experience, sit-on-tops are the most popular type for cruising warm environments, particularly for nervy kayakers who dislike the feeling of confinement. Unlike their sit-in counterparts, sit-on-top variants are stable in strong and rapid currents, and they are also easy to enter or exit.
However, there are tons of kayak brands in the market, thereby making it hard to choose the best one for your adventure. As such, I have reviewed the best sit-on-top-kayaks based on experience and a few other factors to help you choose.
I get paid if anyone buys through the links on this page as I am an affiliate of Amazon.com, Skimlinks, and CJ.com
Top 9 Sit-on-top (SOT) Kayaks
- Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak
- Intex Challenger K2
- Ocean Kayak Frenzy
- Perception Kayak Pescador Pro
- Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
- Riot Kayaks Escape
- Ocean Kayak 12-Feet Malibu
- Lifetime Manta 10 Foot
- Lifetime Tamarack
What is a Sit on top Kayak?
A sit-on-top kayak is considered as most user-friendly kayak thanks to its design. These types of kayaks don’t have a closed cockpit therefore it is very easy to get in and out of this kayak. Moreover, sit-on-top kayaks are more stable because these types of kayaks are wider and you won’t feel any confinement on them. You will enjoy fishing with this type of kayak as the fishing gears are easily accessible. Sit-on-top kayaks are self-bailing; they have scupper holes that allow the water to drain right through them. With so many advantages, the main problem of a sit-on-top kayak is that you’re guaranteed to get wet while paddling.
Our Top Pick
This Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak is inflatable, easy to carry, owns multiple air chambers and comes with a comfortable back-rest seat option to make your paddling enjoyable and fun.
Here are some other awesome SOTs below – but you are requested to check those after a few days as these are not in stock right now.
My Best-Sit-On-Top-Kayaks For 2021
The Intex Challenger K2 accommodates two kayakers at a time. Therefore, it is a suitable option for kayakers who enjoy kayaking alongside their pet, friend, or family member.
Unlike most kayaks, this one features a sporty, easy-to-paddle, and streamlined design that would navigate effortlessly through strong currents. Its bright green color enhances its visibility in the water, and its inflatable design gives you the freedom to store or transport your kayak conveniently.
The Intex Challenger K2 is made of rugged vinyl, a sturdy material that can withstand punctures as well as the wear and tear from prolonged exposure to external elements for a sensible time.
- Comes with two bonus aluminum oars, a repair kit, and a high-capacity pump
- Weighs only 33.57 pounds but can carry up to 400 pounds
- Comfortable inflatable seats
- Not be as durable as kayaks made from hard shells
- The seat’s backrests are flimsy
Are you looking for an SOT kayak that is designed for your unique recreational purposes like fishing, diving, or picnicking? If yes, Ocean Kayak’s Frenzy would be your ideal choice. The kayak comes in bright envy, yellow, and sunrise color variations to let you choose your favorite.
The Frenzy’s tri-form hull delivers an enhanced stability and maneuverability even when pedaling through strong ocean waves, not to mention its replaceable skid plate makes it more durable than those without.
To improve your recreational experience, this kayak comes equipped with a tour-friendly outfitting like a cup holder which holds your water bottle, a spacious stem tank well for storing your luggage, and cushioned seats that keep you comfortable throughout your kayaking expedition.
- Comes with bright colors to augment its visibility in the water
- Responsive and stable design
- Has molded-in carry handles for easy transportation
- Adjustable seats
- Weighs only 43 pounds for easy lifting and moving
- Insufficient cockpit room for large-framed kayakers
The Pescador Pro is designed for kayakers who enjoy fishing. Its hull is made of polyethylene, a sturdy material that can resist wear and tear from regular exposure to direct sunlight and water for a long time.
In addition to the sturdy hull, this kayak has cushioned stadium-style seats that would keep you comfortable all through your kayaking trip. You can adjust the seat to your most comfortable pedaling position.
The kayak has a spacious stern tank well with a mesh gear cover, built-in rod holders, and the YakaAttack GearTrac system to hold your fishing lines and a storage console where you can store your electronic fishing gadgets.
- Available in three color variations
- Can carry up to 400 pounds
- Its stern tankwell has bungee keepers to secure your luggage
- Equipped with a removable skid plate for added durability
- Enhanced stability and durability
- Some users complain that the kayak feels shaky when standing on it
- Quite bulky to transport
The Tarpon 120 from Wilderness Systems is famous for its top-class maneuverability and glide. For that reason, I would recommend it to kayakers who are looking for a multipurpose kayak which they can use for sporting or recreational needs.
The Tarpon 120 features the phase 3 AirPro seating system that keeps you comfortable during your prolonged kayaking expedition. Unlike the lightweight kayaks, this model weighs 63 pounds, making it a heavyweight kayak that remains stable while cruising through rapid and strong currents.
The Wilderness Tarpon features a generously sized storage area that accommodates more luggage, ergonomic handles for a hassle-free transportation, and self-bailing scrubber holes for drainage.
- Molded-in cup holders to contain your water bottle
- Gear storage pockets to store small items
- Built to last long
- Available in five color variations
- A bit expensive than most kayaks in this list
- Quite bulky to move around
Riot Kayaks’ Escape 12 is an ideal option for kayakers who are looking for a kayak which they can use in fishing, diving, or any other recreational activity. It weighs 65.7 pounds, allowing it to be stable when sailing in strong waves. Meanwhile, its sturdy construction can endure wear and tear from regular kayaking. The Escape boasts of comfortable seats which you can adjust to your most relaxed sitting position.
Furthermore, it has multiple travel-friendly outfitting like rod holders for fishing, a cup holder where you can place your favorite drink, and a generous storage area where you can store up to 300 pounds of luggage.
- Comes with an ample cockpit room
- Its comfy seats give you the comfort you need to accomplish long kayaking missions
- Excellent stability and maneuverability
- Not ideal for kayakers who are on a budget
- Quite bulky for transportation
The Malibu is yet another excellent option if you are looking for a kayak you can use together with a friend, relative, kid, or a pet. It comes in sunrise, yellow, and envy colors to suit your preferences.
Ocean Kayak’s Malibu has two comfort plus seats which are ideal for long kayaking trips. You can adjust the seats into three sitting positions for convenient paddling.
It has skid plates for added durability, overlapping foot wells for convenient leg positioning, and side carry handles for a stress-free transportation. Lastly, it has a maximum carrying capacity of 425 pounds and weighs 57 pounds.
- The hull and deck design facilitates easy stacking
- Reasonably priced
- Built from a sturdy material
- Its bright colors enhance conspicuousness in water
- It may feel unstable when used by one person
- A bit too heavy to move around
The Manta 10-foot kayak comes in bright yellow and green colors. It measures 10 feet long, making it one of the most compact-sized tandem sit-on-top-kayaks in the list.
It is made of low-density polyethylene, a sturdy material that is resistant to damage from UV exposure. Despite its small size, the Manta features ditty trays and straps to secure your luggage, self-bailing scupper holes for drainage, and multiple footrest positions for comfortable paddling.
The kayak can accommodate up to two users and has a maximum weight capacity of 500 pounds.
- Made of a durable material
- Highly affordable
- Its bright colors augment its visibility in the water
- It has poor maneuverability
- The seats are not cushioned
- Lacks a storage compartment to carry your luggage
Last update on 2021-04-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API