Filleting a fish is a task that requires meticulous steps and skills. The more experienced you are the better understanding you will have with respect to the question of how to fillet a fish? This stage definitely requires a particular level of effort, yet, putting more efforts at the stage of cleaning will definitely give you a better result, as while eating the fish you won’t feel any bones.
The Learning Process If You Are A Newbie!
If you learn how to fillet a fish properly, you are bound to zip through any pile pretty quickly. There lies a good level of satisfaction in knowing that you could manage a pile of fish so nicely. You even feel proud as you accomplish it as skillfully as the experienced ones.
You should not worry too much about getting all of the meat off while you start filleting the fish first. In the beginning, you only need to get some. It is not necessary to scale the fish first in case you skin it as recommended. But in case you want to use its skin, you might need to scale it, unless if you like scales in your fish.
Process of Filleting a Fish
If you want to understand the process of filleting fishes in a systematic manner, follow the steps given below-
- Cut the head off from behind the grills.
- While holding the fishtail and by letting the backbone guide the direction, begin the cutting towards the head. Be careful that the knife is across the fish and away from your position. You need to start cutting towards the place where the head was situated.
- Next, you have to take off the skin. Hold the fillet from the tail, and skin the fish side down,
- Now holding the knife crosswise on the fillet, insert your knife in the midst of the flesh and the skin. It will get time to get perfect at this step so do not worry.
- Now hold the skin and start cutting in the direction where the head was situated.
Filleting a Larger & Big fish
In case you are wondering ways to fillet a fish of a large size, you should know that the above-mentioned method can get awkward. In its place, if you fillet the fish by opening it like it’s a book can be effective. Mentioned below are the instructions on how to fillet a fish which is large-
- Start by one deep cut behind the fish’s gills. This should be approximately halfway through the fish’s thickness.
- Cut a few inches long slit at the dorsal side of the fish.
- Use the tip of the knife to separate the bones from the flesh of the fish. In this step, the fish should start looking like an open book.
- After it gets open completely, you have to start cutting the fillet away. This you can do by moving your knife parallel to the spine of your “fish-book”.
This way you can fillet your fish without any hassles in the most effective manner. The more you bring this method into practice, the easier it will get for you, as the intricacies can only be understood by doing it practically.
James is a professional kayaker and his hobby is fishing! He has been fishing for last 5 years and he loves using Kayaks while outing as well. Based on his experiences with the different type of Kayaks; he is sharing his opinion about various kayaks so that a beginner can get started right away. Find him on Twitter here. Happy reading!