Briefing on the kayak knots
The kayak knots refer to the mechanical linkages offered to the kayak components for smooth securing against any fixed object. Not only are they important for the overall paddling adventure, but they can also be used for safekeeping and transport of the entire structure of kayak from one location to the other. With a good number of varieties of the same implemented by several kayakers, this article briefly explains about those and mentions in detail about how to tie a square knot with a Kayak.
The popular ones
The following are the most popular varieties of the kayak knots used by the paddlers during the tenure of this adventure sport: –
- Taut-line hitch that can slip easily against the surface and be the perfect support for bearing a good amount of load in different cases of kayaking.
- The figure-eight knot that strongly resembles the number eight and consists of the loop for tying end to end and creating the strongest knot that can be easily determined to be safe from all aspects
- Prusik knot that makes the best knot across a straight line and is often used as a backup knot
- Waterman’s knot that uses a nylon webbing for the enhanced strength compared to that offered by the ropes
- Trucker’s hitch, that is the easiest and most convenient one for bearing and securing the heavy loads and is considered to be the strongest amongst this category
- Square knot, about which the further content would discuss
The square knot
Going further with the answer of how to tie a square knot with a Kayak, one must understand this type. The square knot is considered to be an all-purpose knot that can bear the majority of the non-critical loads and thus finds its application in the lower ranges of the kayaking activities. However, it must not be used for the heavy activities, since it is insecure and has the tendency of loosening up easily and getting detached from the supporting structure.
Going with the fabrication
Fabrication of the square knot for a kayak is considered to be one of the easiest and most convenient modes. The following are the basic steps for the same: –
- Consider two ropes and then keep them side by side as if they face each other.
- Then cross the ropes over each other to tie an overhand knot first, preferably by making the right end go with the left one.
- Then follow this process by tying a second overhand knot, this time by going from the left to right.
- Then the final knot is pulled to make it tight and ensure that the free ends are secured properly.
- Also, a check needs to be made that the entire knot can be reversed easily for unloading purposes.
Therefore, the entire process of how to tie a square knot with a Kayak is detailed, and any further references can be made from the video materials on the same available readily on the online sources.
James is a professional kayaker and his hobby is fishing! He has been fishing for last 5 years and he loves using Kayaks while outing as well. Based on his experiences with the different type of Kayaks; he is sharing his opinion about various kayaks so that a beginner can get started right away. Find him on Twitter here. Happy reading!