Whenever I go fishing on a kayak, I always make sure to bring all the necessary gears with me. After all, I don’t want to experience some difficulties and inconvenience in the middle of my fishing activity simply because I failed to bring a gear or two.
Needless to say, the best kayak fishing gears can either make or break your overall fishing experience. However, which gears should you bring with you on your adventure? To answer that question, I have compiled some of the best products on the market. Let’s take a look.
Top 8 kayak fishing gears In 2020 (Best Picks)
In a hurry? Check the bestseller top kayak fishing gears from Amazon. Just check the product link, the details and price.
My Top 8 Choices of Best Kayak Fishing Gears
Before going kayak fishing, you may fancy carrying items such as a pair of extra clean towels, flashlights, flares, whistles, a camera, a cell phone, or an extra pair of clothes. All these items need to be stored and kept dry when you go out fishing. It's for this purpose that you will find the Drysak Waterproof Dry Bag an excellent product.
The Drysak Waterproof Dry Bag keeps all your items dry when you go fishing; as a result, you no longer need to worry about soaking your items. The bag is also spacious enough and as is capable of handling a number of items. What really impressed me the most is that when you leave a little air inside the bag, it's capable of staying afloat. This means that you can be able to spot it when you lose it on the water.
Lastly, it has a detachable strap on its handle that enables you to hook it to your kayak.
Achieve a greater success rate of casting, scanning, targeting, and catching fish with the use of the Deeper PRO Plus Smart Sonar. It’s one of the best fish finder devices currently on the market; this is because it uses Wi-Fi as opposed to cellular data and mobile internet thus allowing you to achieve more efficiency.
The device uses the GPS technology to map your fishing area. As a result, you are able to view a wider area of your fishing ground. This feature also enables you to create your own fishing map and analyze it adequately on your PC or smartphone.
The Deeper PRO boasts of a connection range of up to 330 feet. Moreover, you are in a position of marking anything in the water that ranges up to 0.5 inches in size for up to a depth of about 260 feet.
When you have finished kayak fishing, you will need to hold your kayak in place. Fortunately, you can hold it in place easily with the help of the Airhead Complete Folding Grapnel Anchor system. The anchor system is capable of holding your kayak in either sand, gravel, mud, or rock.
The Anchor system is not only designed for kayaks, it can also hold sailboats, canoes, inflatable boats, and float tubes. It features a 25-foot long marine-grade rope that’s long enough to ensure you can hold your kayak in place from nearly any position.
Its durable nylon storage case is carefully padded for maximum protection.
Whenever you go kayak fishing, you’ll definitely need a rod holder which allows your fishing rod to adequately rotate when applying side pressure on to the tip of the rod. For this purpose, the Scotty Powerlock rod holder will come in handy.
Its universal cradle perfectly holds your fishing rod, thus allowing you to concentrate on fishing. You don't have to worry about losing your rod when traveling as it is fitted with a front locking ring which prevents any rod loss.
You will fancy this rod holder as it includes a 241 combination deck or side mount to allow you to mount it either by the side or on top of the gunnel. Whether you intend to fish small, medium, or large species, this rod holder is up to the task as it's a multi-functional rod holder.
Lastly, concerning its adjustability, you are in a position to adjust it either up or down for up to 360 degrees of horizontal rotation.
Your safety matters most when fishing. It’s for this reason that fishing life vests were made in the event that your boat capsizes. The Stohlquist Fisherman Personal floatation life vest serves this purpose, and it’s arguably the best life jacket there is.
The fishing life vest’s main material is nylon and consists of neoprene padded shoulders for extra comfortability. What would really amaze you is that it can hold a number of items close at hand thanks to its array of pockets.
With the new Gaia flotation foam, you can be sure that the fishing life vest will help you stay afloat in case your watercraft topples. And when it comes to the protection of your valuable items, its dual front mounted pouch pockets ensure that their contents are kept safe.
A cooler is an essential item to carry along, especially when you need to keep your snack or beverage cold. The Hopper Flip 12 serves this purpose perfectly. With a wide opening that seeks to ensure that you can easily load items into it and also facilitates easy access to your items, this cooler surely comes in handy.
The cooler has a compact and cubed body that ensures easy portability. It’s also made of a dry hide body shell that is waterproof and highly resistant to abrasions, punctures, and mildew.
It measures 12 5/8 inches long, 10 inches wide, and 11 and ½ inches high. It weighs only 3.1 pounds. With a cold cell insulation together with a closed cell foam, the cooler can offer you superior cooling capabilities.
When kayak fishing, you need to properly organize all your necessary tools properly. The Scotty 455 bait board ensures that you are able to quickly access everything you require by keeping your items in check.
It is built together with an accessory rack that ensures all your tools are at your fingertips. Its exterior tray walls allow you to cut your baits; moreover, they are meant to prepare lures in a contained and tidy space.
The Scotty 455 bait board can also be customized to your desired angle and height. You can proceed by using an adjustable extender to adjust it according to your desired height. It can also be easily attached to your Kayak. You will fancy the universal post base that makes it possible for you to fit the board on a rod holder adapter and mount.
A landing net is an ideal fishing gear when you go kayak fishing. It's portable and allows you to easily catch fish. As such, bringing one is a must. In this case, I recommend you the SAMSFX Aluminum landing net for your next fishing adventure. Its hoop size ranges about 12 by 15.5 inches, and its main design material is aluminum.
The landing net features a black knotless nylon mesh whose hole sizes are about 1/8 inches and net depth about 12 inches. It has a 5-inch fix handle made of plastic with a non-slip grip on it handle. Moreover, its handle is fitted with a safety cord that easily loops around your wrist.
The landing net’s weight of around 180g makes it highly portable, not to mention that its small, lightweight, and easy to carry around. It’s designed to be multi-purpose in nature and therefore it’s an ideal size for bass, trout, perch, and crappy.
Safety Tips to Consider when Kayak Fishing
Now that we have reviewed some of the essential kayak fishing gears, let's take a look at the safety tips that you need to know and consider whenever you go on your kayak fishing adventures. They are as follows:
- Know your limits and the governing laws in your area. Kayak fishing is a physical activity, so you should know your limits concerning how far you can paddle. Failure to take this into account may see you paddle far wider than you expected and lead into exhaustion, making it almost impossible for you to safely paddle back.
- You also need to be in a position to adequately identify the necessary kayak gears that you need to have at your disposal and also know how to successfully re-enter your kayak once it topples.
- Lastly, before you even head out to fish, you should inquire your local government regarding the laws implemented on kayak fishing in your area. Make sure you’re well-informed in order to avoid complications later on.
- Constantly assess the weather conditions before you go kayak fishing. A nasty storm or bad weather may cause your kayak to topple, thus putting you in great danger. It's advised that you go out only when the weather is calm and clear. Remember that safety comes first before anything else.
- Ensure that you carry visual distress devices. You may be caught out in a bad weather all of a sudden or are physically exhausted, thus making it almost impossible for you to paddle your way back. Visual distress devices such as flares are really important devices that will guide and assist rescue teams in finding your location.
- Also, you need to make sure that your fishing kayak has a highly visible body to make spotting you a lot easier. You may also want to wear a flotation device or life jacket with a high visibility feature.
- Ride along with a company. Fishing together with your friends is not just fun, it also guarantees your safety. In case you are exhausted, your friends can assist you in paddling along. In the event that your kayak topples, your friends can help you get back on track.
- Try and achieve fishing balance. When fishing, you will probably catch a fish which is heavy enough to fish out of the water. When you have caught a fish and you try pulling it out, it makes shaky movements which may cause your kayak to topple. During this event, ensure that you try and balance your body weight against the weight of the fish. This, however, might be difficult for newbies. But with constant practice, you will be able to achieve an almost stable balance.
- Carry enough food and drinks with you. Kayak fishing is definitely enjoyable and most probably, you will be doing it for the whole day. Ensure that you carry along enough food or snacks and drinks that will keep you hydrated and give you the required energy to last you the whole day.
How to Buy the Right Kayak Fishing Accessory
In order to enjoy and achieve success when kayak fishing, you need to have the right kayak fishing accessories with you. However, how can you do that?
To help you, here are what you should consider when buying the right accessories:
- Durable Construction
Needless to say, you need a gear that’s made of a durable material. After all, weather changes can be rather unpredictable most of the time, hence you need to keep yourself prepared at all times. As such, you need gears that have a solid construction and can withstand rugged conditions.
Weather and water resistance are two important things you want to look out for. If your gear is easily affected by moisture, it most likely won’t last for long. If you really need a gear but it isn’t water-resistant, you might want to invest in a durable dry bag instead.
- Ease of Use
Kayak fishing is already hard as it is. The fact that you have to fish and balance yourself at the same time in a limited space can prove to be quite a challenge. As such, you need to make sure that your gears are easy to use so you no longer have to worry about any additional problems anymore.
Make sure that they’re easy to use, install, and store. It also helps if they come with easy-to-follow instructions or user manuals included in the package.
The size of your gears is yet another important factor you should consider. Since space is quite limited, you need to make sure that your gears won’t take up a lot of space. Their goal is to offer you increased productivity and convenience. However, if they take up too much space or weigh too heavy, they might compromise your overall kayak fishing experience. Additionally, you want to take into account the length and width of your kayak.
Kayak fishing is no doubt an enjoyable activity that enables you to appreciate nature as well as catch some. In order to make it a wholesome experience, you need to have the appropriate accessories as well as adequately learning all the safety tips.
Hopefully, my reviews of the best kayak fishing gears in the market can help you make an informed buying decision. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below. Thanks!
Last update on 2021-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API