I still remember the days when I was using a Desktop computer, and I modified that a lot with new gadgets and stuff. I don’t know why, but I loved modifying that, and it’s addictive. People who own a kayak with having basic designs and features might want to add some personal customization to their kayaks. It is because any kayak, even with the best features, has a lot of scope for improvisation.
A list of Kayak modifications & Upgrade ideas will help people understand the additional features and inspirations that can be incorporated into the kayak to give it an overall astounding look and feel. Let’s figure these out one by one below and make your ordinary kayak a beast.
The Top Modification Ideas For A Kayak
- Camera Mount: Kayaking can be more fun and entertaining by installing a camera that can be used to capture the scenic beauty of the places around as well as the waters. However, the camera should be placed on a safe spot. Usage of a camera mount in the form of a suction cup should be done to attach the camera at a more reliable spot. The mount should be such that it can fit onto a flattened surface. This way, it can be stuck to the yak of the kayak, providing a removable and easy arrangement.
- Anchor: An anchor is one of the best augmentations which help to hold the position of a kayaker while his hands are busy. While on the adventure, people might want to take pictures of some wild animal that has spotted or make a halt near a popular fishing spot. Clicking an image is very difficult, while the hands of the kayaker are full. An anchor is an important element that helps the person to stay at a fixed location and prevents the person from floating in the currents of the wind. The anchors are compact in shape and can be folded for greater convenience.
- Water Storage: The watertight is used to store snacks, phones, keys, and fishing accessories and is one of the best modification ideas you can jump into. Small or large water storage can be used, which comes with a key-chain clip and tether. The watertight storage can be secured to a clip or eyelet on the kayak.
- Fishing Crate: The installation of a fishing crate can make a successful kayaking trip. The fishing crate can easily hold rod holders. A fishing crate can also be made using PVC pipes and a milk crate as a DIY task.
- Seat Upgrade: Seat upgrades can make for the best investment if someone is planning to use their kayak for a longer time. A comfortable seat helps a kayaker to sit in a convenient manner, which allows him to stay longer on the waters. A seat must have a comfortable seat-back, and work with sit-insides as well as sit-on-tops.
- Outriggers: Outriggers can be added in case one believes that the kayak might trip. They create a much stable mechanism because they can transfer the weight to the sides of the kayak. That works for even small and narrow kayaks.
These Kayak modifications can be a great way to add an element of fun and own personalization to the kayak. It helps to curate an ideal vessel for oneself with the best features.
Fishing kayak modifications Ideas
Kayaks are popular for fishing, as they allow people to get close to the water and they have the ability to catch a variety of fish. They vary in size and weight.
What follows is a list of 5 ideas for kayak modifications that will make your fishing experience even more enjoyable.
Here’s a list of 5 fishing kayak modifications ideas that can help you with your fishing adventures out on the water.
1) Using an extra-large paddle on your kayak is helpful when you want to fish from a distance. You don’t need to worry about paddling much and you can just focus on your prey instead.
2) A collapsible anchor system is good for when you’re not sure how deep the water is or if it’s too windy outside, which could mean that it’s not safe to use a standard anchor system.
3) Adding an insulated drink holder will allow you to enjoy your iced coffee, iced tea, or other cold beverage during the hot summer months.
4) Upgrade the seats: The two most important things in any kayak are the seat and the paddles. Many people overlook these two areas when they buy their first kayak, but they’re often overlooked by those who have been using them for years.
5) External rod holders: If you catch a fish every time you go on your next trip, it’s time to upgrade your gear with external rod holders that will secure your rods without needing to strap them to the inside of your boat.
Canoe customization ideas
There are many ways in which you can customize your canoe. You can add accessories, change the color or paint, or change the design.
Customizing your canoe is a fun and creative experience. It can also help you save money by finding affordable options for these customizations.
It is important to keep in mind that some of these changes will make the canoe heavier than others. If you want to move your boat around easily, then it is important to keep it as light as possible.
One way to make your canoe entertaining is by turning it into a themed party boat. This means that you could paint the outside of the canoe one color and create a pattern with another color on the inside of the canoe for decorating purposes. You might also decide to use different colors for paddles as well as seats or create a pattern with images like an animal or nature scene for decoration purposes.
List of 5 Canoe Upgrade ideas:
- Upgrade your canoe to a racing canoe
- Upgrade your canoe to have a more traditional look
- Upgrade your canoe to be more comfortable for passengers in the back
- Add a few accessories and upgrades to make life on the water easier.
What do you need for a canoe upgrade?
Paddles, boat seat, boat hull, canoe tarp, and a canoe pump.
Canoe hull upgrades:
- Hull paint to prevent water from seeping in and rotting the wood.
- Hull of aluminum or plastic with coring for better air circulation.
- Hull made from PVC to prevent rot and algae buildup.
- Hull made from carbon fiber or Kevlar to prevent rot and cuts.
Sit on top kayak modifications
As a kayaker, you have many modifications that you can make to improve your performance on the water. In this list, we are going to look at some of the most popular modifications and how they can help you in your kayaking.
For example, portage paddles are used for paddling upriver while sea-kayak paddles are used for paddling downriver. They provide different levels of propulsion depending on which direction they are facing.
In addition to these two types of paddle modification, the best advice for any kayaker is to wear a life jacket.
It is important to wear it anytime you’re on a watercraft because even if it’s not required by law, wearing it ensures that there will be no unnecessary ills that could befall a kayak.
The ultimate goal is to make the kayak as light as possible without sacrificing any of the features it was designed for.
List of things you can upgrade on a SOT:
Lighter Materials, Advanced Weight Distribution, High Capacity Storage, and Locking Handles.
NUS is a kayaking enthusiast who has been kayaking with a local group for the last five years. He loves using kayaks while out on outings on the water or camping when the friends want to have a BBQ party somewhere on the bank of a local lake.
Based on his experiences with the different types of kayaks, he is sharing his opinion about kayaking tricks and required gears so that a beginner can get started right away.
Find his team on Twitter here. Happy reading!