Kayak pools are available in quite a few types like concrete pools, vinyl pools, and fiberglass pools. Kayak pools are extraordinary features that transform homes by creating fun spaces. You can choose to install a small or large swimming pool based on your budget, lifestyle, and compound space. Large pools provide ample space that you can utilize to situate a grill and outdoor furniture.
- Concrete pools are made up of concrete but steel is also used to reinforce the walls
- The advantage of a concrete pool is you can customize it according to your requirements
- Vinyl pools have a flexible liner that is fitted into the dug hole
- For a fiberglass pool, you only have to utilize a crane to fit the factory-made giant bowl in the excavated hole
What Are Kayak Pools Made Of?
Pools exist mainly in three types; concrete, fiberglass, and vinyl-lined. Also, there are minor types, which include; steel and aluminum.
1. Concrete pools
These are swimming pools that are made up of concrete. During the construction of concrete pools, steel is used to reinforce the walls; then afterward, concrete is applied to the reinforced walls. When compared to other types of swimming pools, they take the longest time to build. The advantage they behold is that you are free to customize their size and shape to suit your preference. On the other hand, you can remodel an existing concrete pool, for example, by enlarging it. Moreover, they are the most robust pools and hence last longer.
2. Vinyl pools
During the construction of a vinyl pool, the flexible liner is fitted into the dug hole. For the bendable liner to hold securely in the hall, it should be fitted to the reinforced walls, such as those made of steel or aluminum. Furthermore, it would help if you considered the walls that are made of non-corrosive polymer before installing a liner. Given that the flexible liner is prone to be damaged by pricking objects such as pool toys that have sharp ends, it is wise to buy a thick liner.
3. Fiberglass Pools
For the installation of a fiberglass pool, you only have to utilize a crane to fit the factory-made giant bowl in the excavated hole. Then, you are all set to jump in and have fun. For that reason, they are fast to install. A fiberglass pool is durable and free from tarnish since it consists of a super-gel coating. Besides, it is nonporous; therefore, you will require using small amounts of pool chemicals for efficient pool maintenance.
Now that you are aware of the main types of in-ground pools, you should consider the site you wish to set up the pool. Selecting the best place is very crucial for the pool. Pool contractors can give great help in identifying the best location, but you can equally consider the following pool-positioning tips:
Pool Positioning Tips
1. Make use of the free solar energy by identifying a pool installation site that can capture the sun’s rays, which in turn warm up the water. The location you choose should be away from trees; this will minimize the leaves that end up in the pool and hence reduce the dirt you ought to clean out.
2. The location you pick should help block the breezes. Never build a swimming pool in windy sites since the wind will increase the rate of water evaporation, making you continually add water to the pool for maintenance of the recommended water level. Whenever you are swimming, the windy condition can make you uncomfortable. Therefore, you should consider erecting structures that will act as windbreakers, for instance, by building solid fences.
3. high and dry terrain is essential to position a swimming pool. Low-lying areas will make your pool susceptible to floods and hence become muddy during the heavy rain seasons.
4. For safety purposes, you should situate your pool away from electric wires. Water is a good conductor of electricity; therefore, keeps off from electrical cables either above or buried on the ground. Furthermore, install the pool away from sewer lines and septic systems.
5. Lastly, position the pool on a good site that is within the view of your house. That way, you will be able to get a clear view of the kayak pool while you are indoors.
How Much Does It Cost To Maintain An Above-Ground Pool?
The cost that you incur to maintain the pool through vacuuming, brushing, and use of chemicals is in the range of $90-$100. Note that as soon as your swimming pool is installed, proper maintenance is inevitable. Otherwise, the water in the pool will turn green, and the filters will begin breaking.
Be sure to check the following pool maintenance tips that you should try out for efficient care:
Kayak Pool Maintenance
1. Take Skimming And Scrubbing As Part Of Life
Skimming of leaves and debris off the pool should be done daily to keep the pool clean. If you have money, you can acquire a robot vacuum, which will save you the daily burden by cleaning the bottom of the pool for you. Apart from skimming, the pool walls require a thorough brushing and scrubbing to prevent the growth of algae. If you don’t clean thoroughly, the pool water will turn green. You can do the brushing once after every week, and in case you encounter stubborn stains, utilize chlorine to soak the stain for some hours then scrub it off.
2. Consider The Pool Filter As Your Pool’s Kidneys
Since kidneys work tirelessly to remove impurities from our bodies, the pool’s filter also is in charge of eliminating impurities from the pool’s water. Occasionally, pools can be cleaned in the following procedure;
1. Turning off the filter,
2. Detaching the filter cap from the pool’s deck
3. Lifting out the filter basket
4. Then remove all sorts of debris, such as the leaves and small toys from the filter basket.
It will be great care to give the filter basket a thorough washing once after every week because it plays a vital role in keeping the pool clean. Consider cleaning the filter pipes by backwashing maybe once a month for a proper filter system.
For efficient backwashing of pipes follow the procedure below;
1. Tune the filter to backwash
2. Detach the filter basket for cleaning
3. Turn on the pump and allow the water to run till the waste pipe discharges clear water
If you subject the filter to a constant turn-on and off, it will get damaged easily. For that reason, you should set the filter on a timer and let it run for about six hours a day.
3. Maintain Consistent Chemical Levels In The Pool
Proper chemical levels are essential for pool maintenance. Improper chemical levels in the water irritate the skin and eyes. More so, it turns the pool into a bacteria breeding site. For proper chemical levels, you should test the pool’s water every other week. All you have to do is purchase testing kits and fill them with a sample of water from your pool. Then add the provided solution to the testing kits, close the vials, and after some time, the sample will change color. Proceed to compare the attained color with the colors that are provided on the testing kit for you to identify the current chemical levels in your pool accurately. Note down the results and adjust the chemical levels as required to get the recommended balanced water.
For quick identification of balanced chemical levels, the water in the pool should be clear, odorless, and leave minimal residues on your skin.
4. Use Baking Soda In Place Of Chemicals
The use of sodium bicarbonate controls the alkalinity of the water without dropping the water PH levels significantly. Regular baking soda equally works as sodium bicarbonate, so you should use it and cut down on maintenance costs since it is cheap.
5. To Manage Bacteria Load Use Chlorine
You can raise the chlorine levels in the water to effectively kill the bacteria. Raising the water chlorine levels makes the water cloudy. It is usually done by diluting the average amount of chlorine thrice with water, then allowing it to filter all through the pool for some time. Afterward, refill the pool with clean water. Though this method works well in killing bacteria, it is not recommended to be practiced regularly because it damages the pool’s sliding. Therefore, you should try it once or twice annually.
6. Employ A Tennis Ball For Oil Absorption
Whenever you go swimming in the pool, some oils leave your body and set in the water; for instance, suntan lotion and hair oils. As a result, you ought to find a means of cleaning out the oils and a tennis ball serves best. The fibers in the tennis ball greatly absorb the oils from the water.
7· Power Wash The Pool Deck To Make It Shine
Power washing is very effective in getting rid of any rust and other stains. You ought to utilize a power washer to get the job done. The results are amazing since it leaves your pool’s deck shining. Whenever you are using a power washer, begin by sweeping the deck to remove all dirt. Then use the machine to power spray repeatedly till the surface shines.
8· Consider Scheduling A Yearly Service Appointment
It is important to get to hear from a pool expert, especially when it comes to caring for pipes, filters, and pumps. An expert will explain everything to you, and you will learn better ways of managing your pool. Before making the appointment, note down all the pool areas that are giving you problems so that you don’t forget to ask for clarifications.
Kayak pools create refreshments for families and friends. We have highlighted the three main types that you can choose to install in your home. The tips on pool positioning and maintenance are very helpful in keeping a luxurious pool in which you will enjoy swimming all through.
Rockey is a kayaking enthusiast who has been kayaking with a local group for the last five years. He loves using kayaks while out on outings on the water or camping when the friends want to have a BBQ party somewhere on the bank of a local lake. More About James R Rockey at About Page Here: Authors
Based on his experiences with the different types of kayaks, he is sharing his opinion about kayaking tricks and required gears so that a beginner can get started right away.
Find his team on Twitter here. Happy reading!