Tips on “how to store a kayak” effectively especially for a long season or when you heading to a long vacation to other countries or state!
Just choosing a good quality kayak is definitely not the most important thing out there but you need to maintain & keep the optimum condition of the kayak no matter how long you plan it to store. You may need to think about storing in a way so that you can instantly go out for kayaking after getting it out from your garage.
In this post, we will talk about why you should be careful while storing it and what are the rules/guides to keep in mind to make the process easier and successful.
Why is it important to store a kayak in the correct way?
The kayak is made in such a floatable material that actually helps the kayak to move faster in the water. The material itself is so sensitive and lightweight that, it prone to damage if not maintained in a proper way. Moreover, it is important to store a kayak in a tiny space so you can store other stuff in the garage properly.
Here are a few tips that might come handy if you are looking to store your kayak in the best possible way.
Canoe or Kayak Storage Guideline To Keep In Mind
- A kayak should never be kept in a closed space along with other objects in close contact. If you store it with other objects then a repeated number of friction between the two objects might lead to damaging your kayak.
- You cannot store a kayak in a temperature that is too hot or too cold. You will always have to store it in a place which has a maintained temperature of about 37 degrees Celsius otherwise your kayak might become rough to handle and touch and its flexibility in water will decrease over the course of time.
- You cannot store the kayak under direct sunlight. You will have to keep it in a place that has a certain amount of shade else its upper covering will be affected.
- Dry the kayak completely before you store it at a place. Make sure it is not wet from any corner especially if you are going to store it for a longer span of time.
- You will have to clean the kayak before you can keep it for storage. To clean a kayak, you can use a multipurpose cleaning agent or a mild soap. Make sure that you have removed all the detergent completely before you are putting it up for storage.
- One best way to store a kayak is to wrap it up on a soft cloth very lightly before storing. This will help to protect it from dust and other particles in the long run.
- Another important tip that most people do not follow is that you should align your kayak horizontally with it’s one side taking support from the wall.
- If you are good at DIY and know some woodworking; then you can build some storage racks to keep your kayak even safer (a good distance should be maintained from the floor). Check the video embedded below to know how to do it.
All the above-mentioned techniques will help you ensure the fact that the kayak is stored in a good way so that it does not face any damage and can be used almost instantly when you plan of going to the lake next time.
Want to know how to make a Garage to keep your kayak safely? then watch the video below –
James is a professional kayaker and his hobby is fishing! He has been fishing for last 5 years and he loves using Kayaks while outing as well. Based on his experiences with the different type of Kayaks; he is sharing his opinion about various kayaks so that a beginner can get started right away. Find him on Twitter here. Happy reading!