In general; Inflatable Kayaks weigh 30 pounds which are 13.60 KG. And Tandem kayaks weigh about 40 pounds which is basically 18.14kg (slightly heavier Inflatable Kayaks). Depending upon whether you are a solo paddler or use kayaks for fishing; the kayak weight may vary. It also varies from kayak manufacturers and keeps the end-user in mind.
- A fishing kayak can be 120 pounds (at max), while a single recreational kayak can be 35 lbs.
- 50 lbs are enough to carry and anything heavier than that will be difficult to carry and transport
- If you have a heavy kayak then it is likely to face the rough wind and turmoil waves and current
- Kayaks made from fiberglass material are havier compared to kayaks made of composite materials
- Rotomolded kayaks are usually made of melted plastic pellets and these types of kayaks are heavy
6 Types Of Kayak Weigh Compared (A Table)
|Kayak Types||Weight Capacity (Average)||Who It Matters to?|
|Fishing Kayak||120lbs||To fish like a pro.|
|Recreational Kayak||35lbs||To have occasional leisure time on a lake or calm river.|
|Inflatable Kayak||30-50lbs||People who don’t bother about the kayak trolly or kayak cart.|
|General Kayaks (all types – single kayak and combined)||50lbs||For any type of kayaking. Anything heavier than this would be difficult to manage.|
|Tandem Kayak||65lbs||To kayak with partners.|
|Sea Kayak or Touring Kayak||55lbs||To move your kayak faster in waves.|
Besides, the fishing kayak can be 120 pounds (at max), a single recreational kayak can be 35 lbs and so. But for general kayakers, 50 lbs is enough to carry and anything heavier than this would be difficult to manage!
Are Kayaks Heavy Or Light?
On average, kayaks can weigh anywhere between 20 pounds, right up to 60 pounds, or even more. Your kayak should pack a manageable weight for you to carry around. If you have to sit 5 minutes for every 10 meters you have crossed with your kayak, then it’s not worth it!
You need to transport your kayak to and from the water. Maybe sometimes you need to lift your kayak up to the roof of your car and drive to the lake. If your shed is too close to the river you need to lift and walk the kayak to the riverbank. A heavy, overloaded kayak is likely to face the rough wind and turmoil waves and current. If you have a heavy kayak, you won’t be able to maintain your balance while catching a fish or lightweight shifting. A quality seat will make sure that you maintain balance and safety against injuries.
Why does Kayaks Weight Varies?
The best way to find out how heavy your kayak is to use search engines. You could search through Google to look for the model you might be interested in. Then, you could go to your manufacturer’s site or the site of the reseller. You should be able to find important information about the weight and the weight capacity (Source: Kayaking Adventure) of your kayak from there.
But ideally, in a kayak, the weight is from 20 Pounds to 600 Pounds.
As I said before, the weight of a kayak is dependent on the material and size.
You may look into the material your kayak could be made from. The most common kayak material types are:
1. Fiberglass Material & Carbon Fiber: Kayaks made from fiberglass material are priced medium and weigh medium too.
2. Composite Materials: Professional trainers recommend this type of kayak. They tend to get expensive and lighter in weight.
3. Polyethylene (Plastic): This is the most affordable section of kayaks. However, they are typically heavier than the other two types.
4. Rotomolded: These kinds of kayaks are usually made of melted plastic pellets and shaping them towards a kayak by machines. Typically such kinds of kayaks are heavy.
5. Thermoform: The top and bottom parts of the kayak are initially made and then they were joined together like a sandwich. They can be categorized as medium-weigh kayaks.
Besides, the on-the-water kayak weight can be varied depending on what you usually store in your Kayak Storage space and so on.
On average, the foldable kayaks are the lightest information if you talk about weight.
Kayak Weight Limit For Different Kayak Models
Kayak weight limits vary based on boat size and the size of the person carrying it. The best way to find out what the weight limit is for your vessel is by contacting customer service.
The weight limit can also vary depending on whether you are carrying a child or not.
Determining the weight limit of a kayak is important to make sure it’s not too heavy for a person to lift and that it won’t sink in water. It also needs to account for what gear will be taken with a person on a kayak as well as other things like carrying coolers, pails, or life jackets.
In order to determine the weight limit, calculate how much total weight you will be carrying and then divide by 10 pounds. For example, if your total weight is 220 lbs., divide this by 10 pounds which equals 21 pounds per person on the trip.
This weight limit ensures a comfortable ride for all users of the kayak.
How much do you weigh? Conventionally, you can find kayaks from 20-60 lbs on average. Below is a list of popular kayaks and their weights:
1. BKC FK184 9' Single Sit On Top Fishing Kayak weight limit is 330 lbs.
2. Freein Stand Up Paddle Board Kayak SUP weight limit is 286lbs.
3. Intex Challenger Kayak Inflatable Set with Aluminum Oars comes with 27.2-pound weight and 220-pound maximum capacity.
4. Sea Eagle 330 2 Person Inflatable 2 person/ 500-b capacity and weighs 26-lbs.
5. Driftsun Voyager 2 Person Tandem Inflatable comes with a Recommended weight limit of 400 lbs.
6. Venus 10: weighs only 34 lbs, but can carry around 175 lbs. Venus 10 is specifically designed for women.
7. Nalu: weighs 40 lbs, and gives you flexibility. You can both stand paddling and sit paddling with a Nalu kayak.
8. The Caper: weighs 45 lbs, but can carry up to 325 lbs.
9. Tandem Kayaks: Tandem kayaks are heavier as they can carry multiple people. If you need more people in a kayak, then you will need more kayaks to do your job. More kayaks will add more weight. You will need more than 1 person to carry a tandem kayak. As a result, you can manage a tandem kayak.
10. Short Kayaks (or Lightweight Kayaks): Short Kayaks are light. You may find a short kayak perfect for your first kayak. You may look for a short kayak if you want to shed weight. Yes, if a kayak is shorter, then it’s lighter. A short kayak won’t be able to displace water.
Another compromise you will have to make with short kayaks is with storage space. The longer kayaks are suitable for storing fish and fishing tools. The longer kayaks will have more space for you to store your pieces and bits.
Kayak Materials at a Glance (When Weight Is Considered)
Fiberglass > Mid-priced and mid-weight.
Plastic (polyethylene) > heavier but cheaper
Composite > Lighter but expensive
Obviously, single-person kayaks are much lighter than tandem kayaks. Tandem kayaks have to be bigger and wider in size as they carry two people together. Tandem kayaks are often used for fishing. They can carry heavyweights.
If you want a lighter kayak, you will have to opt for a shorter kayak. However, shorter kayaks can get overturned by fierce tides. Shorter kayaks do not offer much space for you to stow your fishing tools or fish in.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kayak Weight
How Heavy Is A Kayak In KG?
As 1 Pound is 0.45 KG, you can easily calculate the rest. Like if your single kayak weighs 20 lbs then in KG it would be 9.07kg.
Should You Care About The Weight Of A Kayak?
Well, for traditional kayaks, you have to think about the transportation and carrying up (unless you have a Kayak Trailer) issues a lot. So, it depends upon how much weight you can comfortably carry to lift your kayak up to your car roof or trolley.
Can A Big Guy Use A Lighter Kayak?
Yes, they can. Because almost all the kayak manufacturers test the weight limit a lot and they offer the maximum capacity most of the time. For example – the Old Town Valopr kayak which weighs 47 lbs has a capacity of 325 lbs.
Does Kayak Dimensions Matter? Or Does It Affect The Weight In Total?
Yes. The dimension of a kayak directly affects its weight. The less short the kayak hull is – the less weight it would be.
If you can’t find a suitable kayak for yourself, you will have a hard time on the water. The weight of a kayak is determined by its size and material. You don’t want to carry a kayak that is extremely difficult to transport or maneuver. Follow this guide to find yourself the most suitable kayak Happy kayaking!
Rockey is a kayaking enthusiast who has been kayaking with a local group for the last five years. He loves using kayaks while out on outings on the water or camping when the friends want to have a BBQ party somewhere on the bank of a local lake. More About James R Rockey at About Page Here: Authors
Based on his experiences with the different types of kayaks, he is sharing his opinion about kayaking tricks and required gears so that a beginner can get started right away.
Find his team on Twitter here. Happy reading!
Last update on 2021-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API