The Nortik fold 4.2 and the Oru folding kayaks are gaining popularity because their unique designs allow them to be folded down into a backpack. The key differences between these two kayaks are price, weight capacity, cockpit design, build material, etc.
- The Nortik fold 4.2 is made from a solid material consisting of a mixture of materials to make the kayak durable and resistant to cold, UV rays, and punctures
- This kayak is easy to set up and will be ready to use in 5 minutes
- The Nortik fold 4.2 can be folded numerous times along the hinges without damaging the structure
- Oru kayaks are resistant to abrasion and puncture and it is meant for experienced paddlers
- Oru kayaks are made from 5mm double-layer polypropylene that is custom extruded and UV treated to last up to 10 years
Comparison Between The Nortik Fold And Oru Kayaks
Below is a table that compares the features of the two most popular folding kayaks in the market today.
|Nortik fold 4.2 kayak||Oru kayak (coast XT)|
|Costs $1858.52||Costs $1999|
|Measures 420 cm in length and 64 cm in width||Measures 493 cm in length and 64cm in width|
|Weighs 35.2 pounds||Weighs 32 lbs.|
|Has a max weight capacity of 287 lbs.||Has a max weight capacity of 400 lbs.|
|Setting up the kayak takes an average of 5-8 minutes||It takes an average of 10-15 minutes to set up|
|Flexible cockpit design can be used open or closed||Closed cockpit design|
|Suitable for paddlers of all skill levels||Best for intermediate and advanced paddlers|
|Made from a mixture of materials called nortilen||Made from 5mm double-layered polypropylene|
|UV-resistant, cold-resistant, and puncture-resistant||Puncture and abrasion-resistant|
Nortik Fold Kayak Review
The Nortik fold 4.2 kayaks are carefully crafted to deliver exceptional quality and performance. It is 100% handcrafted, and this guarantees excellent workmanship. The kayak has a well-thought-out construction from the design to the quality of material and the features. It consists of a single solid plate, and it can be folded using the origami technique itself.
The kayak is made from a solid material consisting of a mixture of materials to make the kayak durable and resistant to cold, UV rays, and puncture. This kayak is easy to set up and will be ready to use in 5 minutes. What I love most about the Nortik folding kayak is that it only has a few parts to put together, and it is easy to clean and maintain.
When you get this kayak, you will never want to go back to traditional hard-shell kayaks. This kayak gives you the versatility of a hard shell without having to worry about storage and transportation.
Key Features Of The Nortik Fold 4.2 Folding Kayak
1. They are made from durable and unique materials to make the kayak rugged-resistant and puncture-resistant.
2. Lightweight and easy to transport
3. It has a solid construction that makes it robust and free from any hollow chambers
4. Easy to clean since it doesn’t hide dirt or mold in the folds
5. It can be folded numerous times along the hinges without damaging the structure
6. Relatively affordable compared to other kayaks of its type
7. It has a flexible cockpit design that allows you to paddle with an open and closed cockpit
1. Weight: 35.2 pounds
2. Material: Nortilen- an innovative combination of rugged and quality materials
3. Length:429 cm
4. Width: 64 cm
5. Set up time: 5-8 minutes
Oru Folding Kayak (Coast XT)
For kayakers who love serious adventures, the Oru folding kayak is best for you. This kayak is sturdy and efficient, making it able to handle the ocean. It has aluminum cockpit latches and reinforced strap anchor points to make it strong. This kayak has enough storage space to accommodate your gear for a multiday adventure. It is lightweight and easy to transport while still being tough enough for the open sea.
It has a closed cockpit that can be used with a spray skirt to ensure you stay dry in the rain and wavy waters. The kayak is designed for intermediate and advanced-skill paddlers. Its material also makes the kayak resistant to abrasion and puncture, thus guaranteeing durability.
Key Features Of The Oru Folding Kayak
Made from 5mm double-layer polypropylene that is custom extruded and UV treated to last up to 10 years
1. Oru kayaks are resistant to abrasion and puncture
2. Kayaks is 16’2” long but folds to the size of a large suitcase
3. Lightweight and easy to carry and store
4. It is meant for experienced paddlers of intermediate and advanced skill levels.
Specifications Of The Oru Folding Kayak
1. Weight: 32 lbs.
2. Material: double-layer polypropylene
3. Length: 16’2”
5. Storage capacity: 180 liters
6. Set-up time: 10-15 minutes
7. Weight capacity: 400 lbs.
What Are Folding Kayaks, And How To Choose The Best
As the name suggests, folding kayaks are kayaks that can be folded into smaller parts, making them easy to transport. These kayaks do not have air inside them, so they cannot be inflated. They have a metal frame and a durable polyethylene or plastic body to make them sturdy and resistant to puncture and abrasion.
Folding kayaks are perfect for traveling since you only need to fold them and carry them around easily. They also come in handy for those with limited storage space since you can keep them in your car or even under the bed, and they won’t take up much space.
Pros Of Folding Kayaks
1. They are lightweight and easy to carry around anywhere
2. You don’t need much space to store the kayak once folded
3. Unlike inflatable kayaks, you don’t need to purchase a pump for set up
4. They are relatively affordable
5. They are sturdy and able to withstand open oceans and seas
Cons Of Folding Kayaks
1. They are not designed for rough use
2. Might be prone to punctures
How To Choose An Excellent Folding Kayak
Buying a folding kayak can be highly confusing, especially if it is your first time. You might not be sure of what features you want, and this can make your search frustrating. This section aims to help you know what to look for in an excellent folding kayak to make your search as seamless as possible.
1. Consider The Material
Material is vital when it comes to how well your kayak will perform and also last. For a durable folding kayak, go for reinforced material; this will help the kayak withstand the thousands of folding without wearing out. The most popular material for folding kayaks is polypropylene because it withstands folding quite impressively. It is also essential to consider the material of the frame. Aluminum frames are most common because they are sturdy but lightweight. If you find a kayak with airplane-grade aluminum, opt for that because it will be the most durable.
2. Consider The Weight Capacity
As much as you want a lightweight kayak that is easy to transport, you also need to ensure that the vessel you are getting has enough space and weight capacity to accommodate you and your gear. You need your kayaking adventure to be as comfortable as it can get, and the storage space has a direct impact on this.
Final Word: Should You Buy A Nortik Fold Or Oru Folding Kayak?
Choosing between these two origami kayaks is confusing. Both kayaks have excellent and outstanding features and cost almost the same price. Your personal preference will influence the final decision on which kayak to buy. Which kayak between the two interests you the most? Your paddling skill level should also guide you; if you are a beginner, the Nortik folding kayak is the best option for you since it is easier to handle.
However, our pick between these two kayaks is the Oru folding kayak. The kayak is designed for comfort and also includes foot braces. It has also been in the market for long enough, and we are confident that it is durable and high performing. But both kayaks work excellently and come with numerous benefits associated with folding kayaks.
Rockey is a kayaking enthusiast who has been kayaking with a local group for the last five years. He loves using kayaks while out on outings on the water or camping when the friends want to have a BBQ party somewhere on the bank of a local lake. More About James R Rockey at About Page Here: Authors
Based on his experiences with the different types of kayaks, he is sharing his opinion about kayaking tricks and required gears so that a beginner can get started right away.
Find his team on Twitter here. Happy reading!