Personal Floatation devices are one of the best safety equipment which is designed to keep the wearer afloat on the water no matter what the condition is. They are one of the most reliable safety equipment for those who want to keep themselves safe while enjoying the water. The PFD must be in the proper size and a suitable condition. It is very important to note that PFDs work fine when appropriately stored and kept in good condition. But still, there are some issues to keep in mind when you wear your stored PFD next time you plan for a kayak ride. Let’s learn about these issues below.
Inspection of your PFD
PFD is something that needs to be regularly checked and inspected for any faults. You must look for the following issues which might happen with the PFD. In case of any of these faults, you must change it immediately-
- Torn, missing or ripped webbing
- Rotten material
- Large tears or rips
- Damaged or broken hardware
- Oil spills, as it can affect buoyancy
If a PFD has a tear in the outer fabric?
- In case you are wondering what should you do if a PFD has a tear in the outer fabric, you should keep in mind that this can only happen if you have not taken care of storing the PFD the right way. If the tear is not deep enough to cut through the PFD, you can get an expert to do a patchwork on it. But it should be perfect so that it does not affect the performance of your PFD.
- The best thing you can do in this condition is that you can change your PFD because they are likely to be unreliable from now on.
- If you are still not convinced and you are still wondering what should you do if a PFD has a tear in the outer fabric, you should know that the boating laws state that the PFD should be in perfect condition all the time. Moreover, they should be easily accessible, which means that if you have kept them all wrapped up, there is a good chance that you might end up in trouble.
Storing your PFD the right way
Now that you know your PFD is not in the perfect shape, and you are looking for answers to “what should you do if a PFD has a tear in the outer fabric?” You should take this as a lesson and take all the precautions to keep your PFD safe from any damage.
The best way to ensure the safety of PFD is by storing the PFD right way from now on. Given below are the steps you must take to keep your PFD away from any potential damage-
- Always store the PFD and other floating devices in a dry area which is also cool.
- Make sure that the place where they are stored has enough ventilation, as this will avoid the rotting of the hardware and other parts.
- Never place them in direct sunlight as the UV rays can adversely affect the quality of the material.
- Hang the PFD up as much as possible instead of putting them on a shelf or something.
By following these steps, you can keep your PFD perfect and never face any problem while using them.
James is a professional kayaker and his hobby is fishing! He has been fishing for last 5 years and he loves using Kayaks while outing as well. Based on his experiences with the different type of Kayaks; he is sharing his opinion about various kayaks so that a beginner can get started right away. Find him on Twitter here. Happy reading!