If the PFD has a tear in the outer fabric then you can patch the PFD, use duct tape, or if the tear is very big then buy a new PFD.
- If the tear is not deep enough to cut through the PFD then you can do a patchwork on it
- Depending on how big the tear is, you can use duct tape to repair the PFD for future use
- If the PFD has torn, missing, or ripped webbing then you have to replace the PFDE with a new one
- Always store the PFD and other floating devices in a dry area that is also cool to prevent the PFD from various damages
What Should You Do If A PFD Has A Tear In The Outer Fabric?
There are 3 things you can do to fix your PFD if you see a tear on the fabric. Either you have to patch the tear with iron on a patch by a patchwork expert. Or, you have to use
Let’s explore each one of them in detail –
1. Patching The PFD (Iron On A Patch) :
In case you are wondering what should you do if a PFD has a tear in the outer fabric, you should keep in mind that this can only happen if you have not taken care of storing the PFD the right way. If the tear is not deep enough to cut through the PFD, you can get an expert to do a patchwork on it. But it should be perfect so that it does not affect the performance of your PFD.
2. Use Duct Tape:
The best thing you can do in this condition is you can change your PFD because they are likely to be unreliable from now on. Use duct tape to fix the torn part and let it dry for the next use.
3. Get A New PFD (Replace The Torn One):
If you are still not convinced and you are still wondering what should you do if a PFD has a tear in the outer fabric, you should know that the boating laws state that the PFD should be in perfect condition all the time. Moreover, they should be easily accessible, which means that if you have kept them all wrapped up, there is a good chance that you might end up in trouble.
How To Inspect Your PFD (The Right Way)
PFD is something that needs to be regularly checked and inspected for any faults. You must look for the following issues which might happen with the PFD. In case of any of these faults, you must change it immediately-
1. Torn, missing or ripped webbing: in this case you have to replace your PFD.
2. Rotten material: it’s a sign you should take for granted to inspect your jacket thoroughly.
3. Large tears or rips: repair your jacket if possible.
4. Damaged or broken hardware: your PFD is no longer secured on water and can’t help you at this stage. So, let’s get rid of it or hire an expert who can fix this for you.
5. Oil spills, as it can affect buoyancy
How To Store Your PFD So That It Stays Untorned Or Intact For Long?
Now that you know your PFD is not in the perfect shape, and you are looking for answers to “ what should you do if a PFD has a tear in the outer fabric ?” You should take this as a lesson and take all the precautions to keep your PFD safe from any damage.
The best way to ensure the safety of PFD is by storing the PFD the right way from now on. Given below are the steps you must take to keep your PFD away from any potential damage-
1. Always store the PFD and other floating devices in a dry area that is also cool.
2. Make sure that the place where they are stored has enough ventilation, as this will avoid the rotting of the hardware and other parts.
3. Never place them in direct sunlight as the UV rays can adversely affect the quality of the material.
4. Hang the PFD up as much as possible instead of putting them on a shelf or something.
By following these steps, you can keep your PFD perfect and never face any problems while using them.
What Is The Most Durable And Less Likely to Tiered Life Jacket?
The most durable and almost non-tier PFD is Onyx MoveVent Dynamic Paddle Sports Life Vest from Onyx.
Style and strength for year-round and this Onyx PFD is made of high-quality material and is available in a variety of colors. It’s lightweight, quick-drying, and comfortable to wear.
This is the go-to PFD for paddle sports. The Onyx MoveVent is a non-tier, PFD that is lightweight, easy to use, and offers unparalleled protection in the water. Built with three different zones that create permanent air bubbles that remain inflated for superior buoyancy and stability. The result? A saved life or an enjoyable day at the lake!
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Care For Your PFD?
– Always avoid your PDF being exposed to direct sun for so long as it damages the PFD surface slowly.
– If it gets dirty with mud or salt water, then after finishing your ride; clean it with soft water.
What Are The Equipment You Need To Clean Your PFD?
You must need a plastic bowl, cleaning brush, water hose, and a drying rack (to make your PDF Dry for your next use).
What Are The Life Jacket Rules And Approval Laws?
According to the U.S Coast Guard, your PFD must be USCG approved and should come with a proper label where you will see required information like the size of the person who will fit in that PFD, special care instructions, and the use of the jacket. Besides, you always store a PFD on your boat for every member of your kayak or boat according to the size of their body.
Rockey is a kayaking enthusiast who has been kayaking with a local group for the last five years. He loves using kayaks while out on outings on the water or camping when the friends want to have a BBQ party somewhere on the bank of a local lake. More About James R Rockey at About Page Here: Authors
Based on his experiences with the different types of kayaks, he is sharing his opinion about kayaking tricks and required gears so that a beginner can get started right away.
Find his team on Twitter here. Happy reading!
Last update on 2023-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API