Kayaks are manufactured in many different countries, but the United States has become a dominant force in their production. Fine American kayak manufacturers exist throughout the U.S., and kayaks are made by companies such as Perception, Wilderness Systems, Dagger Kayaks, Old Town Canoes + Kayaks, Otter, Osprey, and Jackson Kayak.
List of Kayaks Made in the USA
For a kayak to be considered Made in the USA, it has to be made from raw materials that are produced in the US. It also has to be assembled and finished in the US.
The United States is home to many American-made kayaks. These quality vessels are made from materials sourced and manufactured in the US. Moreover, all of the kayaking’s final assembly is done by US workers in US-based factories. Here you go with the list:
- Confluence Watersports– Greenville, South Carolina: Confluence Watersports is a kayak manufacturer in Greenville, SC. The company manufactures the only tandem kayak in the world that is designed to be paddled by one person. Confluence Watersports manufactures a variety of kayaks including recreational, fishing, and touring paddles. Confluence Watersports offers many kayak models and configurations including the following: Confluence Watersports offers a variety of kayaks for sale including the following:
- Native Falcon Kayak : Falcon Kayaks is a family-owned and operated kayak company based in Huntington Beach, California. The company was founded in 2009 by Chris Calfee, an avid whitewater kayaker who wanted to share his passion with others. Chris’ father, Gary Calfee, became a co-owner of the company in 2013. Together, the father and son team is committed to providing top-quality kayaks at affordable prices. Native Kayak Company is a producer of high-quality kayaks. The company was founded in 1995 and has seen continued success since then. Native kayaks offer a range of sizes and styles to suit the needs of any customer.
- Eddyline Kayaks: Everett, Washington: Eddyline Kayaks is a kayak manufacturer based in the Pacific Northwest. The company was founded in 1984 and is privately owned. Eddyline’s principal product lines are an expedition, recreational, tandem, and whitewater kayaks. Eddyline Kayaks was founded in 1984 by a pair of designers from Boeing. The company originally focused on kayaks for whitewater and sea kayaking. In 1991, Eddyline introduced the first recreational kayaks to the general public.
- Hobie Mirage Kayak: The Hobie Mirage is an inflatable kayak designed for use in small lakes, ponds, and rivers. The boat is made of two layers of material: a three-layer poly-krylar skin and a PVC bladder. It has four molded-in seats that are positioned so the paddlers sit at the “sweet spot” of the kayak. The weight limit for the Mirage is 350 pounds. The Mirage was originally designed by Hobie Cat in 1975 and is still one of the most innovative and successful surfboards ever made.
- Hurricane Kayaks Warsaw, North Carolina: Hurricane Kayaks is a kayak manufacturer, based in Warsaw, North Carolina. Hurricane Kayaks’ founding date is unknown. Hurricane Kayaks is a kayak manufacturer. Their kayaks are designed for use on both flatwater and whitewater.
- Jackson Kayak Sparta, Tennessee: Headquartered in Sparta, Tennessee, Jackson Kayak is a leading manufacturer of sit-on-top kayaks. The company was founded in 2003 and sells kayaks to distribute as well as manufactures their own. In 2003, the company was founded by Randy and Sherri Jackson, who are still the owners and managers. Jackson Kayak’s first kayaks were manufactured from polyethylene foam with a vacuum-formed plastic deck. In 2004, this material was replaced by rotomolded polyethylene for the production of its higher-end kayaks.
- Johnson Outdoors Watercraft Div: Johnson Outdoors Corporation (JOC) is a company that manufactures outdoor recreation, hunting, fishing, and camping products. It was founded in 1961. The company has corporate offices in Racine, Wisconsin. The company was founded by Elmer Johnson. The company markets products in the following segments: Outdoor Recreation, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Kids Products. In the Outdoor Recreation segment, the company sells inflatable boats and kayaks.
- Old Town Vapor Kayak: Old Town Vapor Kayaks are produced by the Old Town Canoe Company. They are available in three sizes and two colors. The Vapor is an inflatable kayak made of tough urethane-coated nylon fabric with a PVC floor. There are three models available: the 13-foot, 15-foot, and 17-foot models. The 13-foot model weighs 25 pounds, the 15-foot weighs 36 pounds, and the 17-foot weighs 52 pounds.
- Legacy Paddlesports: Fletcher, North Carolina: In 1996, while recovering from an injury, the Late Michael Bennett, Sr. learned how to make a kayak and turned a hobby into a family business. His daughter Melissa was at first skeptical of the family’s new venture but soon realized that it was a perfect fit for her father’s creative and entrepreneurial spirit. In 2004, Legacy Paddlesports opened its doors with the goal of creating quality kayaks and customer service for all ages.
- Bonafide Kayak: Bonafide Kayaks was founded in 2008 by two friends who shared a love for the outdoors and a passion for building high-quality, American-made kayaks. Bonafide’s founder, Christian, set out to do something that had never been done before: create the world’s best kayak. In 2009, Bonafide launched their first kayaks in the Salt Lake City Outdoor Retailer Show and the response was overwhelmingly positive.
- Lincoln Canoe&Kayak: Freeport, Maine: Lincoln Canoe&Kayak is a manufacturer of kayaks and canoes. Founded in 2003, Lincoln is a small company that creates high-quality kayaks and canoes for all levels of paddling skills. Lincoln Canoe&Kayak was founded in 2003 in Freeport, Maine, but the company headquarters are now located in Boulder, Colorado. The company makes kayaks and canoes for all skill levels
- Austin Kayak: The company was founded in the spring of 2007 by Mike B. Moore, a former kayak racer. The company originally designed boats for kayak racing in the US and Europe. The company has since expanded into recreational kayaks and a line of high-end paddles. The company headquarters is located in Pompano Beach, Florida, with additional offices in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and Chengdu China. Mike B. Moore founded the company in 2007 after a career as a lawyer. Moore’s passion for writing led him to create an online content generation software that would allow small and medium-sized businesses to easily produce original, well-written content with the push of a button.
Explain the ways To Know If A Kayak Made in USA or Not
Made in USA kayaks are typically made from American-made materials and assembled in the United States. Some companies manufacture kayaks in the United States, but import parts for assembly.
Some kayaks are manufactured in the United States. These kayaks have “Made in the USA” written on them.
The quality of a kayak is dependent on the materials used and how the kayak is produced. Kayaks made in the USA are typically high quality and worth the investment.
The label for a kayak made in the USA will say, “Made in USA.” If you know the brand of the kayak, and it is not made in the USA, then go to their webpage and find out more information.
NUS is a kayaking enthusiast who has been kayaking with a local group for the last five years. He loves using kayaks while out on outings on the water or camping when the friends want to have a BBQ party somewhere on the bank of a local lake.
Based on his experiences with the different types of kayaks, he is sharing his opinion about kayaking tricks and required gears so that a beginner can get started right away.
Find his team on Twitter here. Happy reading!